Thread: DVDs not working correctly in DVD player.

Unsure

I'm having a problem with dual-layer DVD-rips and in at least one case a single layer one. Slumdog Millionaire, Stargate, Troy (Director's Cut), 28 Days Later, 300, and Hot Fuzz are all problematic. Some have custom menus, but most don't, some are PAL some are NTSC. For example I got Dragon: The Bruce Lee story (dual-layer PAL) and Half Baked (dual-layer NTSC) both work perfectly, I can access all the menu features fine.

The problem is after I burn them in some cases I can't get the menu to work properly when I play them in my DVD player. Troy just stops playing altogether about 2 hours in to the movie. I tried them in several DVD players but they don't work properly. But they definitely work because after I burn any DVD I test it using Power DVD on my PC to see if the it burned correctly.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    If you burn them and they play well in power DVD but become problematic with the DVD player then the obvious conclusion is that the DVD players don't support the mathematics of whatever software you used to create the DVDs.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Not if I have used the same software to create the other hundred or so DVDs that I have that do work. Besides I've already stated that several DVDs (dual-layer) that work fine. The problems I have are not playing the movie but accessing the features in the menus, which is why I dled the dual-layer DVDs in the first place.
    Last edited by THE DUDE; 07-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Try changing your ripping application, update your protections removal (anydvd is always improving and you might have a buggy installation)and burn at the slowest speed possible. Also its a good idea to check in Device Manager under IDE Controllers to see if your optical drives are running at the maximum DMA settings they can handle. Microsoft in there infinite wisdom decided to put a routine into the DMA system that lowers the DMA setting by one point everytime a drive errors 5 times. If at some point you have problems and took a while to get it right, a number of groups of 5 errors can lower your DMA into the PIO mode region. I had this happen to me with a Pioneer drive that was acting up. Even after I replaced it I had problems until I discovered the PIO setting. There is a registry fix where you delete two files MS uses as counters and after a reboot your back to square one.

You can use this without fear of errors as long as your careful you delete the right files. Its no problem to do this even if your system is fine:
    Code:
    1. Open RegEdit 

2. Find the following KEY: 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x 

3.The last four digits will be 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, and so on. 
    4.Under each key, delete all occurences of the following values: 
         MasterIdDataChecksum 
         SlaveIdDataChecksum 
    5. Reboot the computer. Windows will now redetect DMA settings.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5

Smile

Thank you sir I will give it a shot... I did have a problem with my DMA settings for about a month and the only thing that worked was to reinstall Windows so that make sense. Thanks again!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    SelfMadeMMAn's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    I could be wrong and your issue may not be related to mine, but unfortunately, your laser may be getting weak in your burner. My divx/dvds picked up when played in power dvd, but in stand alone players, they would not play. before you get a new burner, try to update your firmware in both your burner and your dvd player. Also, run a lens cleaner through your burner.
    Who dat? Who dat? Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?