Thread: Upgrading, Are These Parts Compatible

dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    I bought a Athlon XP 2600 after being told that it was compatable with my Motherboard...it isn't. It runs, but not to it's full power so I have to upgrade everything else. This is what I have in mind.

Motherboard - MSI K7N2 Delta-L - $84.00 Seen Here

Memory - 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM - 64x64 - 2.5 Volt - 184 Pin DIMM - $67.00

Are these parts compatible?

Is there a site I should go to that my lower the cost a bit?

Is there a better motherboard that I should look at that is roughly the same price or cheaper? I would like a motherboard that:

1. at least 5 PCI slots
    2. DDR PC2100 or faster
    3. preferably no built in video, audio, or lan
    4. supports atleast an Athlon XP 3200 CPU for future upgrades

Any other suggestions?

Anyhelp would be great.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    most motherboards dont correct the cpu to the proper multiplier or fsb configuration, check you cards defaults and change them accordingly in the bios...my 1.67ghz athalon 2000+ was losing about 200mhz with the default bios settings when i put it in my new a7n8x-d...hope this saves you some money

also, the motherboard you want is the a7n8x deluxe (asus) supports dual channel ddr, can support that processor easily has 2 in built lan rj45 ports, about 4usb's with an extra two if you want then, nforce2 on board sound (said to be better than some sound cards) although it has an agp8* you should really get a gpu, even a geforce3ti200 wouldnt be too pricey, this board is a little bit expensive but well worth it £100

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I already have a GeForce 4 Video card, and sound blaster Audigy 2 W/ Live Drive Sound card, so I would really like to find a card that I don't have to waste the money on built in Audio or Video. I'm on a tight budget.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    if its a kinda old m/b u may need to upgrade the bios for it to support ur chip fully, but as tclite says, it should work, just check setting etc, it will save u a few bucks.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    These also seem to work, and are cheaper

Asus A7N8X-X - This is the one that I am focusing on now, unless there is a problem.

Asus A7V8X-X

MSI KT4VLKT400 AGP 8X
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    what is the current board u have?

ud be better with the Asus A7N8X-X as it has the nforce chipset which is meant to be the best chipset for athlon cpus

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    http://www.shuttle.com/share/fae/hq/downlo...admeak31v2x.htm

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download....asp?model=AK31

doesnt look good, looks like it only supports 2100 palimino core, and ur will be a throughbred im sure,

oh welll, i would go for the top on e out of the 3 u listed, a7n8x-x

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    yeah, asus a7n8x is a good board the only thing is that it doesn't support Serial ATA, same with the other boards you picked. The deluxe version does but is qiute a bit more expensive.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    TClite's Avatar Poster
    have you checked your cpus fsb and multiple setting? that cpu should have an fsb of 133mhz as far as i know and should be on a multiple of 12-12.5, if not just tweak these settings and your cpu speed should be adjusted accordingly

also, if your on a tight budget dont shell out on a lesser mobo just settle with this one if you can get it communicating with your cpu correctly and save, the deluxe version of the a7n8x would be a much better investment for your future upgrading, afterall its going to come down in price in january sales, just sit tight