Thread: removing my codecs to star over

cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    hi, i'd like to clean out all my codecs in order to install the Combined Community Codec Pack but tbh, i don't really know which ones to remove since i have a huge list of codecs available on my comp.

i'd be grateful if you could also recommend me a good software to delete them, Codec Sniper doesn't work properly with vista and i don't know which other ones are the more efficient.

here is my codec list:

Spoiler: Show

thanks in advance.

whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Nothing you see in Ad/Remove ? That's where I would start , very easy to remove programs like Klite codec pack etc .
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-13-2009 at 12:35 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    nothing except the Vista Codec Pack.

i remember having installed the Satsuki Decoder Pack and the K-Lite one in the past though.
    Last edited by cinephilia; 06-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    XP ? I would just go to Device Manager / Hardware /Sound /Video ( press windows key/pause key ) and remove all codecs under the heading . Not for noobies tho as you may remove your sound drivers but the codecs should be there .

Here's the Windows help : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142731

Removing a Specific Codec or MCI Device
    To remove a specific codec or MCI device, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, double-click Multimedia.
    2. Click the Advanced or the Devices tab.
    3. To remove an audio codec, double-click Audio Compression Codecs, double-click the codec you want to remove, and then click Remove.
    4. To remove a video codec, double-click Video Compression Codecs, double-click the codec you want to remove, and then click Remove.
    5. To remove an MCI device, double-click Media Control Devices, double- click the device you want to remove, and then click Remove.
    Last edited by peat moss; 06-13-2009 at 02:52 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    A much easier solution would be to use The KMPlayer,VLC, or BSPlayer Pro, they have all internal codecs insatlled and you won't need to depend on the already intalled, that way you can just forget about them, tbh, the easiest method is re-format.

Also, peat, he said "Vista" in his first post.
    [center]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I thought i remembered that the CCP detects and removes all codecs installed automatically? or maybe it was that program called "Insurgent" that is listed on the ccp site.
    Last edited by colt45joe; 06-18-2009 at 03:43 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45joe View Post
    I thought i remembered that the CCP detects and removes all codecs installed automatically? or maybe it was that program called "Insurgent" that is listed on the ccp site.
    CCCP Insurgent (CCCPI) is a program that is able to detect other playback packs and thus help you (and us) in the troubleshooting process. It has a number of diagnostics features, as well as some power tools to manage DirectShow filters. The only part of it the causual user should be using is the leftmost column, that displays any other codec packs detected on your system. The other parts are probably too obscure to be useful for most users. Tools -> Test render... and Tools -> CRC check... are pretty straightforward, but still mostly useful for people helping others with playback problems. Note that the "Unregister filter" and "Register filter" buttons should NOT be used unless you are very sure about what you're doing!

http://cccp-project.net/wiki/index.p...CCCP_Insurgent
    [center]