Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 to ship without Internet Explorer in Europe

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

European buyers of Windows 7 will have to download and install a web browser for themselves. Bowing to European competition rules, Microsoft Windows 7 will ship without Internet Explorer. The company said it would make it easy for PC makers and users to get at and install the web browsing program.

In response the Europaan Commission expressed scepticism over the move and if it would allay accusations of Microsoft abusing its market position. “We’re committed to making Windows 7 available in Europe at the same time that it launches in the rest of the world,” Dave Heiner, Microsoft deputy general counsel, said in a statement, “but we also must comply with European competition law as we launch the product.”

“We believe that this new approach, while not our first choice, is the best path forward given the ongoing legal case in Europe,” he added.

In response the European Commission said “It would also have to consider whether this initial step of technical separation of IE from Windows could be negated by other actions by Microsoft.”

In early 2008, Microsoft was fined 899m euros (£765m) by the European Commission for anti-competitive behaviour over bundling in the media player and browser into Windows.

In January 2009, Brussels reached a “preliminary view” that Microsoft was denting the chance for true competition by bundling its browser software in with its operating system.

Microsoft is due to defend itself against the charges in a hearing.

If Microsoft fails to convince the Commission that it is not harming competition could mean more fines and enforced changes to the way it does business.

“We’re committed to launching Windows 7 on time in Europe, so we need to address the legal realities in Europe, including the risk of large fines,” said Mr Heiner.

Windows 7 is due to be released worldwide on 22 October.

“In terms of potential remedies, if the Commission were to find that Microsoft had committed an abuse, the Commission has suggested that consumers should be offered a choice of browser not that Windows should be supplied without a browser at all,” said the Commission in a statement responding to Microsoft’s announcement.

It said Microsoft’s approach of offering the program to computer manufacturers “may potentially be more positive” in terms of remedying its alleged abusive behaviour.

It added that if Microsoft were found to be abusing its position, the Commission would have to work out if the uncoupling of IE offset that behaviour.

Source: ZitZot
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 06-13-2009 at 11:49 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I think it's absolute crap. MS should be allowed to bundle IE and Media Player with Windows. I'm sorry but I don't agree with IE being removed from Windows.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    if you dont have a browser how can you download one from the net?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    mcbogster and oglebo, that's precisely why the EU isn't accepting this move. Microsoft will have to supply the options available, say Mozilla, IE and Opera, for people to choose from.

It's not crap at all. Internet browsing isn't a Microsoft-only phenomenon. People should not be forced to have IE bundled with Windows, since Windows is the OS most people around the world use, this means monopoly, and disabling people from uninstalling the browser fully and using something else is corsair behavior, to say the least.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    It also says that Microsoft makes getting IE a one click process.
    [center]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbogster View Post
    if you dont have a browser how can you download one from the net?
    USB stick.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Well true, but I would think they would have a link on the desktop that says "download IE8" now...and you click and it will download and intall it, btw, you don't need a browser to download stuff.
    [center]

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I absolutely hated how IE was integrated into Vista and you couldn't uninstall if you wanted to. It's too bad it was taken out because of authority rather than their own choice, but the end result is satisfactory for me.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    harshytkage's Avatar Tarders BEWARE! BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    I absolutely hated how IE was integrated into Vista and you couldn't uninstall if you wanted to. It's too bad it was taken out because of authority rather than their own choice, but the end result is satisfactory for me.
    sure it's satisfactory for us, but there are plenty of people out there who don't know Shit about computer stuff and expect everything to be usable out of the box, i really think it's stupid to charge them with abuse for bundling it with it, not like they're charging anything extra for it, really stupid, no matter how bad IE is...
    Spoiler: Show

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thank God they are finally going to do it. IE is crap, it's a huge security risk no matter how much M$ fix their holes. IE has been that way since it's inception.

Long live FF.
    Last edited by haas; 06-16-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast