Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does ratio cheating cause any damage to a tracker?

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    That's a lot more interesting than the topic .What could you possibly download ? Unless I had never watched/played/listened to anything before and felt compelled to suddenly make up for it in a week I can't see the reasoning.

And no ratio cheating by one individual ( not a sysop so I might be totally off base here) probably has no effect on a tracker.
    Still makes you a douchebag though.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Clean little helper BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    It shortens the torrent life. The other users make a decent ratio at it and stop seeding. You should seed in order to keep the torrent alive, but yo don't, so the torrent dies.
    And what jaapjaap said wasn't ridiculous, this rule has a purpose. If one can disobey it, others soon follow. And the more cheaters on a site, the shorter the torrents live on that site.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Jezebel's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippin' View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Menteur View Post
    When I'm on a leechingspree I download 1tb in less than a week, and I have less than 10mbit down speed.
    Pretty sure that's impossible...
    Typo, should've been 'less than 100mbit down speed'.
    Though it might be possible with 10mbit, I don't know.
    At least swedish isp's may stand a chance considering how they max out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugur View Post
    this rule has a purpose. If one can disobey it, others soon follow.
    More than one has manipulated their ratios throughout the years, and I haven't seen the crowd following.
    Last edited by Menteur; 06-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    That's because most of them are caught and disabled/banned.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    actually ratio cheating does hurt the tracker..... basically, the whole thing is based on the honor system.. the numbers represent how much you share! ... and/or take depending on how well you were raise.. and by cheating the system your lying .. because you have not shared what you say you shared... if a single user does this then it most likely wouldn't matter as much.. but, there are many users out there that do this and that's what does the damage.. becuase it reports that you shared x amount MBs or more which means that you could download a 30GB torrent pack and avoid the hit and run systems without actually seeding 10mbs .... by making it appear that you have satisfied the requirements you can drop the torrent ... leaving the torrent to die faster and other more decent users high and dry on it as well...

that's one scenario here but i'm sure there's other combination's/ways or things you could do.. as to what the OP does is irrelevant because all he want's to do is make a case that there is nothing wrong with it..... lmao

in any case it certainly does not help a tracker or any specific torrent any, thats for sure! it's an avoidance techniuqe, nothing more... if you were a legit user there wouldn't be a need to do such things to begin with..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

I have 1 mbit speed and I tend ot use/watch/play/listen to the stuff I download. I don't download for stats.
    Then we have something in common, except for that I don't use all of the stuff I download. About half of it is for friends and family.

Anyways, why would someone download for the stats?
    Is it cool to have a lot of downloaded?
    I thought most people are trying to get as much uploaded as possible, not downloaded.
    If you have very little downloaded, people might suspect you as an inactive user. People don't like to hand invites to people who won't use the account...

I see people agree with me that 1tb is a lot. Besides, even if it is for family and friends, you still need to download it just once, lol.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Maybe when he says friends, he means a lot of them. That's not the problem. The problem is that he is cheating and he doesn't realize he's doing something wrong. Moreover, in the country where he lives he has access to some very fast connections, so he doesn't need to cheat, even if he downloads 1 TB in a month. (that means an average speed of 3mbps, by the way)

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    how do you even fake uploading a terabyte?that's 1000GB ffs.How the hell does that go undetected?this tracker never ceases to amaze fo sho.

Back to your question though,as you have readily admitted ratiocheating is ethically wrong and that's that.Robin hood too stole to help the poor and though at face it was justifiable to him it was still against the law of the land hence wrong no matter what his beliefs were(same with people who blow themselves up as a shortcut to paradise).

That said,your question is kinda tricky and am tempted to dodge it.But am not going to,you may harm a few people speedwise(coz you are not really in the swarm) but if ethics and rules aint really your thing then nothing is off the table.You are free to justify anything you want.
    It won't harm the tracker like say trading does coz after all its internal.
    You are stealing but with the intention of returning back what you took,that's called absentia borrowing.
    If anything though,i think its embarrassing that someone can fake uploading that much without being detected,to me that equates to ignorance coz if someone was paying attention you ought to have been banned by now or you would have stopped after a few gigs.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Poster
    to download 1TB a week you'd have to RSS pretty much everything that hits the site.

i doubt you do that, and if you do i doubt you use more then 5gb of the stuff you download. i also doubt you have the HD space to keep up with that.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1

I normally download about 1tb in a month.
    When I'm on a leechingspree I download 1tb in less than a week, and I have less than 10mbit down speed.

What kind of idiot needs to download a tb of stuff in a week, so in the end whats the point of cheating just so u can download a lod of shit that u will never even most probably look at.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast