Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Picking a Dedicated Server

I would like picking a dedicated server, based on a few components. If you guys would help that would be great. It's not going to be exclusively a seedbox, some usenet downloading may also be present, but more importantly it'll do tasks which are actually legal .

CPU: a dual-core 2x1.4+ GHz, not needed for a seedbox obviously
    HDD: 160GB or more
    RAM: 2GB or more
    BW: 100Mbit, unlimited. I won't need too much, but it allows me to not have to monitor it.
    Price: <40 euro/month
    Setup Fee: <20 euro

The only servers which are options right now are a Kimsufi XL, which would mean compromising on the processor. My other option which has been tempting me is a Digicube.fr server (either Medium or Large). Both are French and require resellers. Digicube has barely any compared to the plethora of Kimsufi resellers. The only one I can find is seedbox.cc who double the price of the box.

Server.lu seem nice, but out of my price range. Same with Keyweb.de and I've heard they don't like p2p.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I think all has been said. Among all hosters "tolerating" P2P, Kim XL seems the only offer available at your price.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks for the input.

My only concern going with OVH is that I had a previous server with them ~6 months ago. Bear in mind that I'm connecting from Canada, but the speeds were terrible with regards to VNC & FTP. The bandwidth was steady, 7+ MB/s upload speeds. However, what is the point of a server if you can't control it very well. The FTP transfers speeds sometimes would max out my home connection (15mbit), but other times would crawl at less than 100kbps (multi-threaded of course).

Maybe they have changed though?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    I think the biggest problem might be the peering from Europe to Northern America. So whichever European host you choose, FTP, VNC and such might still pose a problem.

Haven't got any solid advice on this but maybe tryout a seedbox located at OVH UK and see how it performs for you; else you're quite outta luck with "cheaper" machines, I reckon...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    For the record, many moons ago, I had a vectoral server and it had very good peering. Always maxed my connection, however it had a 2TB bandwidth limit which was unbearable.

Thanks for the help, any more input by others would be appreciated. I want to make the best choice before I spend my money.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    More than your budget but at 49 euro try server.lu DS2000 - with a 320GB hard drive - free remotes/reboots and installs plus they just updated to 1gbs on all their servers..One of my best servers. Very solid.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by brgroup View Post
    More than your budget but at 49 euro try server.lu DS2000 - with a 320GB hard drive - free remotes/reboots and installs plus they just updated to 1gbs on all their servers..One of my best servers. Very solid.
    LOL

Yeah, but OVH (not KimSufi) also has free reboots (user-initiated) and free reinstalls (user-initiated). And honeslty you're wrong on 1Gbps at server.lu; maybe their entire infra is 1Gbps but as far as I know, the best connection a server can get is just plain old 100Mbps...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FransTormer View Post
    LOL

Yeah, but OVH (not KimSufi) also has free reboots (user-initiated) and free reinstalls (user-initiated). And honeslty you're wrong on 1Gbps at server.lu; maybe their entire infra is 1Gbps but as far as I know, the best connection a server can get is just plain old 100Mbps...
    LOL
    As we go back and forth, this poor guy's server gets more and more expensive pal ..SDMini @ 49 euros is out of stock for the past month (I had two on order and never got them)..and your lowest price ovh outside of kimi is 59 euros..Maybe we can find something really expensive for him that wipes it's own arse..

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    What? I just got a SP Mini delivered last night... And their site (France, anyways) listed 32 @ 1H and another 40 @ 24H on Onday-night... So no clue what went wrong but they're still delivering as promised.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by brgroup View Post
    As we go back and forth, this poor guy's server gets more and more expensive
    I decided to up the budget and go with OVH's HG09 Bi Turbo REV for 474 euro/month. CPU: 38.4GHz HDD: 300GB RAM: 24GB BW: 2gbit
    I think it meets all the requirements.

Seriously though I haven't picked anything because I know I won't have time to set it up for a couple days so that'd be a waste of money to not use asap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast