Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do popular sites prune inactive donators?

Member BT Rep: +1
    I was a member (among others) to Blackcats Games and PiSexy, both to which I've thrown well over $100 each in donations over the years, just to have my accounts pruned from their servers for inactivity while I was moving and didn't have internet. I also had positive rations at both with over 500GB uploaded.

Other sites, like Oink (when it was alive), Waffles, What, etc. that I have also donated plenty to, have kept my account.

Why are the people that support these sites and literally pay the bills getting this kind of treatment?

I frequent my torrent sites on a regular basis, but while I was moving, did not have internet, etc., I had no real choice, and I was not about to go to the local library to try to get through their firewalls to a bittorrent site to keep my account from being pruned.

I think all sites who accept donations should have more respect for those that donate...

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I think giving donators immunity to pruning would be a step forward to sites, even if it's temporary for however long donator status lasts. It's not giving donators an edge ratio-wise but you guys do keep the site alive and having a sense of permanence to your account would seem completely fair.

The tracker I've donated the most to does this, but I visit it multiple times a day so it's not really something I need.
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 06-17-2009 at 07:22 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Try to speak with staff on irc, it worked for me once based on my long history as a good member + many donations.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    You were obviously not a donator when the system pruned your account.

Donations only last for a month, doesnt matter how much you donate, so if you donated 3 months previously, then your not a donator anymore, so if you didnt sign in for 2 months (which you must not have done) then the system will prune you auto.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Have to say i sympathis with ur case, i dont think donars should ever have their accounts pruned for inactivity unless they have been away for a crzy amount of time like a year or so. Without donare these sites would not be about at all.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    But why should someone that donated 25p (yes people have donated that and less to BCG) get immunity from pruning for 1 year or eternity.

Yes the donation helped pay for the server whenever it was they donated, but if that was 6 months ago, its no good now is it, sorry to be blunt, but come on.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Villalltheway's Avatar Paint it Pink BT Rep: +1
    Well its about showing appreciation anyone can seed, but it takes something else to give away ur cash. I bet the majority of people who are on trackers never donate.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    That's mean stoi .Pruning shouldn't be encouraged at all and especially for people who aid in footing server bills.

In many trackers and am sure BCG isn't exempt in this,there are certain usernames that just can't be touched,some of these people haven't used their accounts for years but their accounts still stand(and dare i say some of them even run exempt from the ratio system )so if trackers can go to such lengths for friends then i don't see why the same can't be done for friends with benefits.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Only VIPs who are hand picked by the staff, and staff are immune to pruning on BCG.

No one is immune to ratio (VIPS and above are, but if we see them taking the piss, i will demote them personally)

even our best uploader, bambacha is not immune to ratio or hit and runs, when he was uploader he had 100 hit and runs, I Pmed him politely saying it was not on, and he should clear them, if he did not i would demote him myself, which would mean he would have gone into KL. well he cleared them.

I dont even have a freeleech account, the bonuses I get are the same as a normal user, apart from I cant go into KL, but I still follow the rules as a normal user should. I dont even get donation benefits.

My philosophy is, if I expect you to do it, then I should bloody do it as well.
    Last edited by stoi; 06-18-2009 at 07:38 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    anyway i believe the rules of the game are well known, so can't see no point of whining about things that were predictable.. and yes, account parking and warning staff before going offline also could helped...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast