Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSOD Repair Help!

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    I have a neighbors laptop drive hooked up to my laptop via usb. The actual health of the drive is fine, I have access to all the files, however the drive BSOD's on boot, and even BSOD's during a windows installation. I'm pretty sure the problem is driver related, but how can I repair it from my computer?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Let's see, there are over 4 billion possible major BSOD codes. Which one would you like us to guess at as the cause?

If we are lucky we might hit the right one before the end of the universe.

Or you could read it off the screen and just tell us, that might work slightly better.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Well the problem with that was that the BSOD screen only held up for about 4 seconds. But I just used my noodle and took some cam phone pics.

Heres what we got:
    BAD_POOL_CALLER

And the stop code:
    0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0cCDB50000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

But the 3rd number set seems to change everytime...

So I've run just about ever test I could find, memory, hdd, mobo, cpu, all passes. So its definatley not a hardware problem.

Is there anyway to get into the event logs on the drive and maybe get more information as to what is causing this problem? All the log reading stuff on my working laptop don't have any options to view logs on another drive...
    Last edited by Duffman; 06-21-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    You could just have gone into the control panel/system and changed your settings so that you window doesn't restart on bluescreens, though.

That would be cheating obviously, but still.

A couple of questions based on some random messing about:

1. Is your windows install an upgrade from another version of windows, ie did you install xp on top of win2k or something?

2. What version, including sp version, are you using?

3. Have you recently installed any new hardware in the machine you're trying to install on. New printer or RAM, for instance.
    Last edited by Snee; 06-21-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Standard questionaire cat entered unnecessary standard questions

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster

Sick

Its not an upgrade.
    Theres no way I could have disabled automatic restart because its not my computer.
    And nothings been changed recently.

I think right now my best plan of attack is to figure out how to , get in to the log files, because I really know nothing about whats causing this problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Often, uninstalling the last applications installed will sometimes fix crashing problem. That's happened to me many times that an application I installed starts causing crashes.

Does the PC crash when booted in Safe Mode?

With the HDD removed, will this laptop run without crashing when booted off another device, such as a Linux CD?

If this laptop regularly crashes upon boot, how were you able to run all those diagnostic programs? Were they run off a floppy, CD, USB drive, other boot device?

There is a program called Dr. Watson that comes with Windows (except Vista) and it keeps a log that can be used to debug crashes. 3rd-party debuggers are also available.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    The drive will _NOT_ boot in regular mode, or safe mode, it can't even get through to a windows installation. I ran diagnostics on the hardware via Heirens boot cd.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    HMthePM's Avatar woweee BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Check here http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
    I were you I would take all the backup and make a clean install by deleting all the partitions. But it seems you have already tried that, so best of luck.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    Have a look at a program called spinrite,It refreshes HDD and fixes problems with a poorly disk,bad blocks etc,Its just an idea to try and solve the problem and it maybe the solution,Its saved a couple of my HDD/Sata thet were ready for the bin till a friend had a play with them with spinrite.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    "The current thread attempted to free a virtual address that was never in any pool." -- MSDN

Seems to be a memory problem to me.
    Last edited by codec; 07-01-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast