Thread: Need help with Linux Mint

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I installed Linux Mint as it seemed the best fit. I installed it using the instruction in the Linux Mint Users Guide from the official website. I created two partitions exactly as described here.

I have run into some definite issues however.

I noticed in the bottom right corner by the clock, there a message which showed that 66 updates needed to be installed. I ran and installed all of them along with one NVidia update. It was suggested that I do a restart so the updated changes would take effect. When I attempted to restart, the computer just hangs at this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2954cx3.jpg

It never shuts down or restarts, just hangs there until I force the computer to turn off by holding the power button. Why is that happening?

When attempting to power the computer back up and into LinuxMint, I recieve the following:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2qw37yu.jpg

That screen just sits forever until I, again, press the power button. The very instant I press the power button, a new line of text shows up saying "Stopping GNOME display manager" and then it appears that the computer/Linux properly shuts down. What is this happening?

yo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Did you try the LiveCD 1st? I never install a distro without testing the LiveCD 1st. No surprises later.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I ran the LiveCD for a couple of days and it performed flawlessly. It wasn't until I did the actual install that things went awry.

yo

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    That's way weird.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm good for you.
    Hi,
    Your first problem is one I faced too. I believe it was a problem with the ACPI, but ultimately this helped me (I use Ubuntu btw, but this should work as Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu):
    Re: Ubuntu Shutdown issues
    Hi, I had the same problem, and Saint Google helps me.
    Here you have the solution that works in my PC, may be in yours too ...

1. Edit /etc/modules with "$ sudo gedit /etc/modules" and add a new line: "apm power_off=1"

2. Edit Grub menu with "$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" and look for the line with the kernel option you use normally (Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic in my own), at the end of this line add "acpi=off apm=power_off", without quotes of course.

3. Now you have to restart your PC in order that changes take effect.

Try it, good luck.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414585

I don't have any information on your second problem, but again it may be an ACPI issue.