Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cult Classics

i just don't like the term "cult classic." it's too vague and people who don't normally watch any challenging/unusual movies just throw everything into the "cult" category because they think it's weird. Plan 9 From Outer Space, A Clockwork Orange, Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes, and Rocky Horror are all completely different things-- they don't deserve to get lumped together. Stanley Kubrick must be rolling in his grave, at the thought that his film is considered to be on the same level as the Toxic Avenger.

2. Movies & TV   -   #42
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Most of my favorites have already been named (so I won't bother typing their names again, lazy me&#33 but no-one mentionned Paul Verhoeven's "Flesh and blood" (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0089153/)

3. Movies & TV   -   #43
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@29 September 2003 - 16:41
    i just don't like the term "cult classic." it's too vague and people who don't normally watch any challenging/unusual movies just throw everything into the "cult" category because they think it's weird. Plan 9 From Outer Space, A Clockwork Orange, Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes, and Rocky Horror are all completely different things-- they don't deserve to get lumped together. Stanley Kubrick must be rolling in his grave, at the thought that his film is considered to be on the same level as the Toxic Avenger.
    here is someone trying to explain it, and mostly failing. Just as there was a need to recognize and isolate a different style of music within the category of "rock" and call it "alternative" or "punk" or whatever, there is an equal need to do the same with movies. Cult classics are movies that do not cater to the needs of the masses, but instead place more emphasis on artistic expression with the young generation in mind.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

4. Movies & TV   -   #44
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer+29 September 2003 - 16:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MediaSlayer @ 29 September 2003 - 16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-3RA1N1AC@29 September 2003 - 16:41
    i just don&#39;t like the term "cult classic."&nbsp; it&#39;s too vague and people who don&#39;t normally watch any challenging/unusual movies just throw everything into the "cult" category because they think it&#39;s weird.&nbsp; Plan 9 From Outer Space, A Clockwork Orange, Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes, and Rocky Horror are all completely different things-- they don&#39;t deserve to get lumped together.&nbsp; Stanley Kubrick must be rolling in his grave, at the thought that his film is considered to be on the same level as the Toxic Avenger.
    here is someone trying to explain it, and mostly failing. Just as there was a need to recognize and isolate a different style of music within the category of "rock" and call it "alternative" or "punk" or whatever, there is an equal need to do the same with movies. Cult classics are movies that do not cater to the needs of the masses, but instead place more emphasis on artistic expression with the young generation in mind. [/b][/quote]
    I couldn&#39;t help but notice...

5. Movies & TV   -   #45
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@29 September 2003 - 08:59
    here is someone trying to explain it, and mostly failing. Just as there was a need to recognize and isolate a different style of music within the category of "rock" and call it "alternative" or "punk" or whatever, there is an equal need to do the same with movies. Cult classics are movies that do not cater to the needs of the masses, but instead place more emphasis on artistic expression with the young generation in mind.
    i know what cult classic means, but i don&#39;t buy it. basically anything that joe sixpack doesn&#39;t understand is lumped together as "cult." it&#39;s a mish-mash of art and schlock that i don&#39;t think stands up as a true category.

i&#39;ve got probs with the idea of "alternative" music, too, though... which lumped together a bunch of different styles that didn&#39;t have anything to do with each other.

6. Movies & TV   -   #46
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    that&#39;s exactly why alternative split into the sub-generas you see on soulseek

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

7. Movies & TV   -   #47
    zinc1's Avatar Poster
    I haven&#39;t seen it Mentioned yet so I&#39;ll mention it now.

2001 A Space Odessey

8. Movies & TV   -   #48
    Poster
    If you don&#39;t do it people won&#39;t know what you are talking about it is a necessary evil. you can&#39;t label everything that is not mainstream with it&#39;s own title it would never work. people recognize the terms cult classic and alternative so it works. If you don&#39;t believe me that it takes people too long to grasp the concepts of smaller new catergories ask a forty year old what Emo is, and even though I personally can&#39;t stand emo I would hardly call it a brand new or even small catergory type.

*edit* sorry this was in reply to brainiac but I got beat to it.

9. Movies & TV   -   #49
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Why split hairs?

Cult cinema is like everything else on this planet; it has varying levels of quality and substance.... a spectrum, if you will.

Sure, Troma cant compare in quality to Kubrik... but they&#39;re both film makers.

Cult spans the entire spectrum, like it or not.

10. Movies & TV   -   #50
    i was once told that cult classics were mostly experimental movies that made it. made a little sense. one can be experimental with everything - a concept, a script, its implementation, camera works, etc. something like jason or texas chainsaw massacre could have become cult classic cause no one had seen so much blood o killing during that time. fight club can become cult cause of the script and central permise of the story, and QT&#39;s movies..well, i wouldn&#39;t know where to begin

just my two cents B) /

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast