Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Cult Classics

I agree that Terry Gilliam rocks!

2. Movies & TV   -   #72
    dirty harry and good, bad and ugly is in my list too. clint eastwood is a very good actor, retirement-phobic too i might add

some of his new stuff like spacecowboys, etc. don't do justice to him at all.

3. Movies & TV   -   #73
    BANNED
    Originally posted by Busyman+30 September 2003 - 22:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 30 September 2003 - 22:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ck&#045;uk@30 September 2003 - 21:04
    technically, though, i have to agree that cult by definition means it has a small following. if it&#39;s popular, it isn&#39;t "cult." i don&#39;t consider that nitpicking-- when was the last time you&#39;ve heard of a cult comprising the majority? if a cult is not a small minority, it ceases to be a cult. for example, "Pulp Fiction" is automatically excluded because of the high level awards it won and the truckloads of money it raked in.
    Umm..i dont know about that mate.Myself,i would class pulp ficion as a "cult classic".Maybe we could redefine "cult classic" to "a small devoted following".
    Ahhh but as he 3RA1N1AC said, there is nothing small about Pulp Fiction.
    People call something cult classic sometimes just because it&#39;s highly original or weird (Pulp Fiction was highly original).
    They also call it cult when it starts a new genre.

And no 3RA1N1AC what I mean is just what I said.
    Cult classic on this thread is Name A Movie You Liked. [/b][/quote]
    ARR..i know pulp fiction was a bit of a hit.But i dont think a movie would be categorized as a cult classic on its release.Imo a movie&#39;moves in to that genre after the hypes died down and just has a small devoted audiuece,enought to keep the movie rember&#39;ed.

4. Movies & TV   -   #74
    Easy Rider.

What about all the "Carry On" films?

5. Movies & TV   -   #75
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    pulp fiction,pulp fiction,pulp fiction,pulp fiction,pulp fiction
    fyi-pulp fiction is in a grey area
    On the one hand, its hip for the soundtrack, the director, and the general message the movie sends. On the other hand, its not because:
    A:regarless of whether it was intended for the masses or not, it is now widely cherished by the jackass generation
    B:watching it over and over just isn&#39;t pleasant i.e.-it didn&#39;t stand up to the test of time like other cult classics did-i.e."this is spinal tap"
    C:it wasn&#39;t all that good to begin with compared to other cult classics

Oh and if someone defines cult classic differently than what I&#39;ve proposed, that&#39;s ok I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. But if you ask if a movie is a cult classic I&#39;m gonna say yes or no based on my definition, not yours. No harm in that.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. Movies & TV   -   #76
    B:watching it over and over just isn&#39;t pleasant i.e.-it didn&#39;t stand up to the test of time like other cult classics did-i.e."this is spinal tap"
    B - wrong. i know a whole lot of people, including myself, who never get tired of the movie...there are even many teenagers in my area that have borrowed my dvd over and over again [eventually they stop cause they rip it].

C - err, i beg to differ. pulp was one of the first movies in american cinema to cross the 100 million dollar mark. QT is considered a cult director only on the basis of three movies, and mostly for pulp and dogs. its a little long, yes, but the only part i feel could have been omitted was the fabian-butch interaction. imho, pot-belly conversation and then good morning, where&#39;s my frigging watch? the jules-vincent chemistry is among the best i have seen between characters in any movie.

all in all, there&#39;s absolutely no doubt in my mind that pulp will be talked about in the same vein as the good, the bad and the ugly when its as old as the good, the bad and the ugly.

7. Movies & TV   -   #77
    re-read the last paragraph of my post

8. Movies & TV   -   #78
    well, that applies to me too

9. Movies & TV   -   #79
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@1 October 2003 - 09:26
    pulp fiction,pulp fiction,pulp fiction,pulp fiction,pulp fiction
    fyi-pulp fiction is in a grey area
    On the one hand, its hip for the soundtrack, the director, and the general message the movie sends. On the other hand, its not because:
    A:regarless of whether it was intended for the masses or not, it is now widely cherished by the jackass generation

Oh and if someone defines cult classic differently than what I&#39;ve proposed, that&#39;s ok I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. But if you ask if a movie is a cult classic I&#39;m gonna say yes or no based on my definition, not yours. No harm in that.
    I don&#39;t recall the thread being called "we give a rat&#39;s ass wether you say it is a cult classic or not".

10. Movies & TV   -   #80
    @grimlock-ok then

but wait, has anyone seen donnie darko? i tried to rent it but the movie rental place by my house doesn&#39;t have it

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast