Thread: Astraweb vs. Usenet Server

Poster BT Rep: +1
    loop
    Last edited by freeinvites; 05-16-2010 at 07:51 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    The Usenetserver special does not promise that the $10/month price will never increase. The page only says "Discount applies to every month that your account is active." They never define exactly what this "discount" is.

It never hurts to read the fine print .............

Usenetserver may, with prior notice, change the fees it charges you for accessing the Services at any time. ... You agree that all fees charged by Usenetserver for accessing the Services will be automatically charged to your credit or debit card account
    http://www.usenetserver.com/en/tos.php

So $10/month might seem like a bargain, but remember that UNS gives themselves the right to hike the price at any time, and you're bound by contract to pay.

By contrast, Astraweb explicitly states that they will never raise the price.
    You will pay $11 for every month as long as your subscription remains active. We will not raise the price.
    Personally, I would choose the Astraweb special over the UNS special. Unless UNS puts something in writing, their $10 rate does not appear to be locked-in once you join, and I think it will probably increase.

Anyway, UNS is a Highwinds "reseller" and there are other Highwinds resellers that also offer $10/month prices, such as Ngroups.net (if you pay per quarter)

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    you should have used the search feature before you posted, as this topic has been beaten to death, many times over; .....and then some.
    in the end, astraweb ususally comes out as the winner.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster
    Usenetserver I would say would be a good deal IF they had a Euro server....but you are only limited to 1 so that does not seem as good.

You may want to check out http://usenetnow.net - $10.17 per month when you pay for 3 months...or $12 if you pay for a month. Unlike the two you mentioned in your OP, you do not need to subscribe month to month to get and hold on to the price. You can pay as you go if you choose. This is really how most providers should do it, but who am I to say.

If you are one of those who gets off on a couple of days retention difference, Usenetnow and Usenetserver quote there ending retention to be 400 days, Astraweb is saying 365.

I had a thread about this a bit ago that you can read if you so choose: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...-dealio-350932 Happy hunting!!

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hdjunky View Post
    Usenetserver I would say would be a good deal IF they had a Euro server....but you are only limited to 1 so that does not seem as good.

You may want to check out http://usenetnow.net - $10.17 per month when you pay for 3 months...or $12 if you pay for a month. Unlike the two you mentioned in your OP, you do not need to subscribe month to month to get and hold on to the price. You can pay as you go if you choose. This is really how most providers should do it, but who am I to say.

If you are one of those who gets off on a couple of days retention difference, Usenetnow and Usenetserver quote there ending retention to be 400 days, Astraweb is saying 365.

I had a thread about this a bit ago that you can read if you so choose: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-new...-dealio-350932 Happy hunting!!
    One thing everyone should know about usenetnow though is that their unlimited plans are limited to 40Mbit/s.. not very clear on the site.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    These days, it seems like astraweb is THE usenet service. I've had it for maybe 8 months now, and I love it. Retention is not quite as good as giganews, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    One thing everyone should know about usenetnow though is that their unlimited plans are limited to 40Mbit/s.. not very clear on the site.
    That issue you point out is an issue I only wish I could be faced with, but good point for others who are well beyond my paltry 1 Mbit max speeds. Although I will say, when I connect to the local university during my lunch times, I get my normal 30-31 Mbits as I always did with others. Does anyone know if a 40 Mbit max speed would be lower for the end user due to overhead or whatever that stuff is called? For instance, would an end user only see 38 Mbits in the real world?