Thread: Changing Id3 Data

Poster
    Is it possible to change the ID3 data in an MP3 file?

I want to know because the songs I play on my MP3 player don't have the ID3 tag as the actual song.

eg. Smooth Criminal would show up as 1/SC_1.MP3

Thanks

2. Music   -   #2
    Out of The Ordinary
    Yes You can change the ID3 info, Load up Your songs in WinAmp and rightclick the song You want to change the ID3 tag for.

BOT

3. Music   -   #3
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    bot is the id3v2 the only metadata an mp3 can have?cuz i'm sure you heard about the riaa news story about them presenting metadata in court to prove where the file came from. If i blank out the id3v2 data is the file completely clean of metadata?

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

4. Music   -   #4
    Out of The Ordinary
    Sorry no clue I always erase ID3 with a program.

BOT

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    Is there any other way of editing it?
    I have tried WinAmp 3 but it won't play any of my music files.

6. Music   -   #6
    musicmatch pro

7. Music   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    you can edit ID3 tags natively if you have Windows XP. Just right click an mp3 file, select Properties, and go to the Summary
    tab.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

8. Music   -   #8
    i saw that sparsely, and always wondered if that was indeed an id3v2/id3v1 interface. I just conducted an experiment to see if I could indeed blank out potentially harmful id3v2/id3v1 info and here is what happened. First I erased all the fields I could find after right clicking the mp3 file in explorer then going to properties>summary>advanced. Then, before I closed the window, I went to the general tab and renamed the file. After that I opened the file in MusicMatch and made sure everything was blank there then clicked "apply". Last, I opened the file in notepad and there were no remnants of any tag information from the original file at all, but the word "musicmatch" was found because i used musicmatch to edit the file. Now the question is, what is the difference between id3v2 and id3v2? I have no idea, when i used xp it didn't specify and in musicmatch it doesn't say outright which one is being used. It is interesting to note that when I edited the file in musicmatch FIRST, then edited it in xp the file DID contain remnants of the following tag fields:track name,artist,album,comments(in musicmatch, it says "notes" instead of "comments", but its obviously the same thing).-------Conclusion:if you don't want your metadata to be used in court, enter in null data(a bunch of "0"s or whatever) in the track name,artist,album,and comments so the old metadata will be overwritten.

9. Music   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i remember reading somewhere that the riaa where making md5 hashes of shared mp3's. this would include meta data in the hash but when you edit the meta data the hash would change.

so in effect all you have to do is edit a few letters and the md5 hashes they have on record would become useless.

10. Music   -   #10
    and also it helps if you avoid brittney spears