Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: <> Return Path For A Virus Email, How?

KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    I received a virus through Outlook and my Anti-Virus stopped it. When I looked at the return _path of the address this is all it had,

<>

Nothing else so I was wondering how did they do that?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Anyone please...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It&#39;s a worm.. How did they do it?
    hard to explain.. they made some kind of html/java/mail virus that opens when the email is previewed... all possible

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Out of The Ordinary
    1st: No I have no idea about Your virus
    2nd: You dont have to BUMP Your topic after 15 minuts or so&#33;
    3rd: Change Your signature image, the maximum allowed size is 495X150 Pixels

BOT

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    The email headers were probably faked. They could&#39;ve put your own address in there, and it would&#39;ve looked like it cam from yourself.

I had this happen before. Not a virus, but I did get one spam email to my Comcast account, from my Hotmail account.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@27 September 2003 - 21:00
    It&#39;s a worm.. How did they do it?
    hard to explain.. they made some kind of html/java/mail virus that opens when the email is previewed... all possible
    It really is a hard one I mean they masked their _path.

The email headers were probably faked. They could&#39;ve put your own address in there, and it would&#39;ve looked like it cam from yourself.
    How can that be done, I mean what program do you use. This is what spamers use but how do they do it?

When I received the e-mail, it automatically opened it self and it had a virus but Norton caught it. I received it 4 times a day and they were all caught.

The real question is how did they mask their _path to that <>?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    You can go into properties/advanced/advanced in outlook express or outlook and get the real path with all headers.
    You&#39;ll see the ISP&#39;s smtp or pop3 headers first but look harder and it should show the return path.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ok thanks. Next time it happens I will show you the details and message source.

My questions still remians unsweard. How did they do it?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Any OS pretty much can send email through SMTP with the headers you specify. If you enter < > as the return email, yhen that&#39;s what will show. You can&#39;t hide the OS or origin though. The local host or domain will still be registered when the ISP forwards it unless you use a true annonymous proxy.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I think you got it I remember very well that all it had was the " <> ". I did go into properties and like you said but I remember there was no return address at all and it said "No reply address" so it&#39;s definitely a true annonymous proxy.

Do you know where I can get a annonymous proxy so I can send e-mail like them or how can I learn to do it. I am on a dial-up. I am not going to use it on anything stupid. I don&#39;t want to be blacklisted, I want a clean future. I just want to test it on my self and learn about some more so I can defend my self if it happens again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast