Thread: Anyone care what's going on in Iran?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Why am I the one doing this.

The video is kind of disturbing, for those who haven't seen it.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/06/21...not-her-voice/
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    惡魔的提倡者
    I'm sure that's a typo and you meant Iran.

It is rather tragic, I saw the video before so didn't need to see it again.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    I'm sure that's a typo and you meant Iran.
    You are quite right; congratulations...I will seek to have the problem corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    It is rather tragic, I saw the video before so didn't need to see it again.
    Rather sorry for having come so close to offending your sensibilities...it didn't occur to me you would assume I did that just for you.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Rather sorry for having come so close to offending your sensibilities...it didn't occur to me you would assume I did that just for you.
    Oh hum.

I was making a comment on the poor young woman and "The video is kind of disturbing, for those who haven't seen it."

I didn't need to see it again to know it's tragic and comment on it, you see?
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 06-23-2009 at 12:44 AM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Whats happening is tragic but i really don't see whether there's anything anybody outside iran can do that will change the situation lest someone decides to invade the country which again is highly unlikely.
    These things are always bound to happen if you choose to have a system of government that revolves around something as controversial as religion.If anything is to come out of this situation,it certainly won't be from the streets but from those within the elite clerical religious circles,its only them who have the power to get rid of the supreme leader and the current system of governance as is and until khamenei sees real threat from the split that is rumored to be happening, ahmedinajock isn't going to go anywhere and these people will just have to deal with it.One is left to wonder though what happens once ahmedinajock has completed his final five years,obviously the supreme leader isn't going to allow a reformist to run the country,right?
    If these people really want true democracy then they have to find a way of getting rid of this ultimate decider,he is everything that's wrong.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    The "news" in Iran is blatant propaganda.

Much worse things routinely happen in other countries -- but of course the US news media completely ignores that, at least when these repressive regimes are US allies. It's never mentioned that Iran has the most free elections of any country in the region, most whose countries severely restrict dissident parties (like Egypt and Algeria) or don't even have elections at all.

It's no secret that the CIA has been actively trying to change the leadership in Iran for years by training and financing dissident groups. Lets not forget that in 1953 the CIA engineered the violent overthrow of the elected government of Iran, leading to a quarter-century rule by a repressive dictator.

But propaganda works. Most actually people believe the "wipe Israel off the map" comment (an extreme mis-translation/fabrication) or that Iran is violating International Atomic Energy Agency rules in its nuclear program (it isn't) just because the press repeats these deceptions over and over.

Anyone who cares to independently research the situation will see that the press reports -and US government claims- are a huge distortion. And often outright lies. But lies work because few people are skeptical enough to bother to check out the facts for themselves.

But of course, there is a method to the madness. The US has been applying the thumbscrews to Iran for years, and this propaganda campaign is only the latest episode.

I think this commentary is on the right track:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/margolis/margolis152.html

http://informationclearinghouse.info/article22875.htm
    Last edited by zot; 06-24-2009 at 06:07 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Glitterstep's Avatar Peace|Lov|Energy|EDM BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Its extremely disturbing what's going on there,yesterday a Helicopter was spraying some chemical agent on the protesters.
    Power to the people of Iran, I seriously hope all this does not go in vain and they achieve Freedom and get Democracy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For updates:
    1>Twitter (search for #IranElection. About 650 Tweets/min from all over the world.)
    2>Mir Hossein Mousavi (Fb page, check out the videos they have posted and read the comments)
    3>Irane Azad (Fb group, join for updates)
    4>CNN.com
    5>NYT.com
    6>IHT.com
    7>Washingtonpost.com
    8>Youtube
    Last edited by Glitterstep; 06-24-2009 at 06:17 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post

Much worse things routinely happen in other countries -- but of course the US news media completely ignores that, at least when these repressive regimes are US allies. It's never mentioned that Iran has the most free elections of any country in the region, most whose countries severely restrict dissident parties (like Egypt and Algeria) or don't even have elections at all.

It's no secret that the CIA has been actively trying to change the leadership in Iran for years by training and financing dissident groups. Lets not forget that in 1953 the CIA engineered the violent overthrow of the elected government of Iran, leading to a quarter-century rule by a repressive dictator.

But propaganda works. Most actually people believe the "wipe Israel off the map" comment (an extreme mis-translation/fabrication) or that Iran is violating International Atomic Energy Agency rules in its nuclear program (it isn't) just because the press repeats these deceptions over and over.

Anyone who cares to independently research the situation will see that the press reports -and US government claims- are a huge distortion. And often outright lies. But lies work because few people are skeptical enough to bother to check out the facts for themselves.

But of course, there is a method to the madness. The US has been applying the thumbscrews to Iran for years, and this propaganda campaign is only the latest episode.

You're absolutely correct in your assertion regarding other countries in the Region.

However, no one can claim that Irans election was "Free" by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless you mean that "they were free to vote for who they wanted, and the Government were then free to throw away those votes that didn't agree with what they wanted and were also free to add a few of there own" (even if that took them over a 100% turnout in some districts)?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post

You're absolutely correct in your assertion regarding other countries in the Region.

However, no one can claim that Irans election was "Free" by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless you mean that "they were free to vote for who they wanted, and the Government were then free to throw away those votes that didn't agree with what they wanted and were also free to add a few of there own" (even if that took them over a 100% turnout in some districts)?
    Well, just the same, Rat - he's proved his point, which seems to be that events in Iran are just a fart in the international breeze.

We should all aspire to the commensurate level of, um...jaded-ness, I guess would be the word.

Well done.

Zot, I mean.

-Mark Twain