Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 preorder a hit (save 50% ordering now)

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manu1991 View Post
    Scene Pricing

Windows 7 OMG LOLZ WTF edition - Free
    My OS is something I've always felt was worth paying for. If for nothing else other than peace of mind. Especially an initial releases like Win7 where you'll be wanting to make sure you obtain updates as they are released.

I can understand downloading something that is as stable as say:

Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.June.2009.Corporate-UP2DATE

...but not a new OS.

Alternatively, does anyone know what the main differences are in the three versions?

I never had great luck with those integrated releases. They were always more fragile than the untouched retail copy.

As for the differences, MS has a table comparison on their site.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...mpare-editions

I've been really excited about XP mode, so I'm going to pay to get that feature. But ultimate doesn't really do anything for me.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Don't you have to have Ultimate to have XP VM mode? Or are saying you "have" to buy ultimate for the XP mode, I'd rather have ultimate and then one day I need to use something and I get a pop up that says "you should've bought ultimate"....

As upgrades I think you have to supply "some sort of info" that you legally paid for it, I assume a "legit" key might work, and I think it's from Vista, I don't know about XP to 7, although I do have a legit "key" that I didn't pay for, that's got XP legit, so I might be able to upgrade and use that key
    [center]

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

Alternatively, does anyone know what the main differences are in the three versions?
    As for the differences, MS has a table comparison on their site.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...mpare-editions

I've been really excited about XP mode, so I'm going to pay to get that feature. But ultimate doesn't really do anything for me.
    Thanks for that link.

XP Mode holds no interest to me whatsoever. I always thought the default look of XP was awful as the icons are terrible.

The only real difference between Professional and Ultimate appears to be the language packs (don't care) and BitLocker encryption support (again, don't care).

The only advantage for me with Professional may be the Domain Join feature, but really, how hard is it to joining a network?

I think Home Premium is going to be just fine for my needs.
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-03-2009 at 06:11 PM.

yo

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    afaik its vulnerable to the same sort of cracking as vista.

Wether they will put their foot down or have a way to i dont know, i think my install told me my copy was cracked before but they hadnt done anything about it.

The big question is can you upgrade a unliscenced 7 install? e.g. install a cracked copy and upgrade it with a real one :p

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Do you have to upgrade to an equivalent version which you had before?

In other words, if I have Vista Ultimate now, am I required to upgrade to Win7 Ultimate or can I upgrade to any Win7 version I like?

yo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12