Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: future of newsgroups?

newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Wwwildthing View Post
    1) The 'files' are spread across dozens (if not hundreds) of servers. Removing it from one server, does not remove it from the rest.
    How many *backend* providers have more than 300 days binary retention? I count just three. And maybe 3 or 4 others that have 150-300 days retention. (Most usenet "providers" being actually resellers who access the same few backend servers.) High-retention usenet servers are quite rare.

2) Posters have been hiding their idenity since Day One. That was about 10 years before the Internet became available to the public.
    I could be mistaken, but I believe that in the early years (before about 1995 when pay-providers emerged) all usenet posts included an IP address.

I pulled the following nzb from 2 different indexing sites - Total.Rugby.02.07.09.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP

NZBMatrix - [email protected] (somewhere in the Netherlands)
    Poster - [email protected]

NZBs(dot)Org - [email protected]
    Poster - [email protected]

A 'ping' of bin-reg.net returns a 'host not found' response.
    "[email protected]" is the message-ID - that's what identifies the posted article.

77.247.178.113 is the IP address of www.NFOrce.nl- not the poster -- But you are correct, NFOrce.nl is indeed "somewhere in the Netherlands"

I thought it was common knowledge that most people who post on usenet use a fake email address these days. (unless they want a mailbox buried in spam.)

FYI: Here's the *complete* information that I get on that same poster:

Code:
    Path: s03-b37!num01.iad!npeer01.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!newsfeed2.ip.tiscali.net!tiscali!newsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!feeder.news-service.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed5.news.xs4all.nl!xs4all!news.wiretrip.org!feeder1.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!193.201.147.80.MISMATCH!news.astraweb.com!border3.a.newsrouter.astraweb.com!not-for-mail
    Newsgroups: alt.binaries.multimedia, alt.binaries.tv
    Subject: #a.b.mm@efnet - req 83751 - Total.Rugby.02.07.09.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP - [04/28] - ftp-tr020709.nfo (1/1)
    X-Newsposter: newsmangler 0.02 (python-vanilla) - http://www.madcowdisease.org/mcd/newsmangler
    Date: 03 Jul 2009 17:04:08 GMT
    Lines: 31
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Organization: Unlimited download news at news.astraweb.com
    NNTP-Posting-Host: 3359c7bd.news.astraweb.com
    X-Trace: DXC=hH2BYmdKhM6J5c6\GR85Z>L?0kYOcDh@:Ykk[:k07I@;6BKBbG`K@B8Oce7HWKnCC=OIV^[?9;h12B7>@J1GSf]3
    Xref: Hurricane-Charley alt.binaries.multimedia:394249165 alt.binaries.tv:311272920
    X-Received-Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:04:09 UTC (s03-b37)
    Unlike ISP servers, most pay-to-subscribe usenet providers don't publish the poster's IP address - but they keep internal records of all posters' identities (to track down spammers, etc). Therefore, usenet posters are generally not anonymous.

Again, the 'headers' are sent in plain text and clearly readable by any usenet client. Encrypting the nzb's (which are created from the header information) would serve no purpose.
    Again, I'll quote ericab's suggestion that I commented on earlier:

Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    but even dmca's wont stop us from sharing; we'll just obfruscate the rar/zip filenames, and password protect them, if it really comes down to it.
    Headers are worthless if the subject/file you're looking for has a cryptic name -- and especially so if the file is password protected.
    Last edited by zot; 07-04-2009 at 12:13 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    That's mighty pretty formatting there Zot. I was already aware of all that, but I'm sure the newbies appreciate it.

Rapidshare has alot of password-protected files, but that's never stopped them from being pulled. In fact, it probably makes them more noticable (especially to a virus scanner).

If you encrypt a Usenet post, your drawing a bulls-eye on the target. Encrypted nzb's won't solve the problem either, it'll just complicate the procedure of downloading, even more than it already is. Every usenet client has to be modified and extensively tested, and the whole network upgraded to support the new encoding format.

Even if all that happened... and your downloading encrypted files, via an encrypted nzb... and you can get the password to the downloader (which will probably need to be sent in the clear - nulling any advantage created by all that encryption)... it's not gonna be hard to convince a jury, that your doing something you shouldn't be.

See... it's not the content, but rather how you access it that needs to be fixed... the goal being to prevent another Jamie Thomas-type event.

Anonymous Usenet is coming.
    Last edited by Wwwildthing; 07-04-2009 at 04:40 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post

Code:
    Path: s03-b37!num01.iad!npeer01.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!nx02.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!newsfeed2.ip.tiscali.net!tiscali!newsfeed1.ip.tiscali.net!feeder1-2.proxad.net!proxad.net!feeder1-1.proxad.net!feeder.news-service.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed5.news.xs4all.nl!xs4all!news.wiretrip.org!feeder1.cambriumusenet.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!193.201.147.80.MISMATCH!news.astraweb.com!border3.a.newsrouter.astraweb.com!not-for-mail
    Subject: #a.b.mm@efnet - req 83751 - Total.Rugby.02.07.09.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP - [04/28] - ftp-tr020709.nfo (1/1)
    X-Newsposter: newsmangler 0.02 (python-vanilla) - http://www.madcowdisease.org/mcd/newsmangler
    X-Trace: DXC=hH2BYmdKhM6J5c6\GR85Z>L?0kYOcDh@:Ykk[:k07I@;6BKBbG`K@B8Oce7HWKnCC=OIV^[?9;h12B7>@J1GSf]3
    Xref: Hurricane-Charley alt.binaries.multimedia:394249165 alt.binaries.tv:311272920
    how do you find out this info about an upload?

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by Duron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post

Code:
    how do you find out this info about an upload?
    All traditional news readers list that information. However, most binary grabbers and NZB downloaders do not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12