Thread: Court Forces Spammers to Cough Up $3.7 Million

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Court Forces Spammers to Cough Up $3.7 Million
    By Kevin Parrish, published on July 3, 2009 at 12:50 PM

" A U.S. district court is forcing a spam group to cough up $3.7 million they collected through fake weight-loss products and human growth hormone pills

An alleged international spam ring--with key players located in Canada and St. Kitts--was ordered by a U.S. district court to give up a whopping $3.7 million racked in by spam emails. According to the Federal Trade Commission, the illegal email drove traffic to websites that offered hoodia gordonii plant extract that claimed to cause significant weight loss, and a "natural human growth hormone enhancer" that supposedly reversed the aging process.

The FTC originally filed the complaint with the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, back in October 2007. The complaint included eight defendants--Spear Systems, three corporate defendants, and four individuals. Spear Systems, an individual located in the U.S., and an individual located in Australia settled in May 2008. However, the FTC was unable to reach a settlement with the remaining five defendants who must now answer to the court order.

The FTC's original complaint said that the claims made by the emails were false and unsubstantiated, thus violated the FTC Act and the CAN-SPAM Act. The U.S. Safe Web Act also came into play, a law that enables the FTC to trade information with foreign counterparts, and to protect consumers from internet fraud and cross-border spam; Congress gave the green light to the law back in 2006.

A list of the remaining defendants ordered to pay the $3.7 million can be accessed here. "

Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Court-FT...news-4172.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Good, there needs to be more of this.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just shows how stupid these people are.

They could have given genuine weight loss advice - it's so simple - cut out the Spam!

Sorry.
    I'll get me coat.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    n00b
    omg I hate spammers, but I use gmail so I never get any

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Spam in the inbox, and from can are both unpleasant :-)