Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Really Know About The Bible?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    4. There will be no offensive or inflammatory posts meant to offend or hurt any other member(s) or guest(s)

If you want to debate, then debate.

The attacks appear to be getting too personal.

Billy, attacking a religion is offensive in this context.

I dont mind you all debating religion per se........but attacking someones religious beliefs is offensive, not only to those you attack, but to any others of the same faith.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    Originally posted by Biggles@29 September 2003 - 20:50
    Surprisingly grim little foray but factually correct
    Factually correct? That "test" is about as factually correct and objective as a nazi propaganda session. Here is just ONE shameless lie contained in that "test".
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    34. What did Jesus say about peace?
    Answer: B

A."Peace on earth, good will toward men." --This Christmas message from Luke 2:14 contradicts Jesus himself.

B."Don't think that I came for peace on earth. I came to start wars." --Are these the words of a good man?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34) "I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." (Luke 12:49-51) These words, by the way, come immediately after Jesus talked about beating slaves. (See Question 33)

C."Each person makes their own peace, according to their faith and how they treat others."

D."There is no peace apart from God." --Paul sometimes wrote about peace (see Romans 15:33), but this also contradicts Jesus.

As you can see, the phrase "Don't think that I came for peace on earth. I came to start wars." does not appear anywhere in Matthew 10:34 or anywhere else that in the bible that I know of. Check for yourself, its not there. Here is the exact kjv quote from Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." What the writer of this feeble "test" didn't notice is that the word sword is being used symbolically, as is common in the bible. The church interprets the word sword to be a reference to what is called the "sword of division". The sword of division is not a physical sword, but a symbollic reference to the seperation of the church between the rest of the world. The verses that follow talk about the separation from all non-believers, even family. The only true family a believer has are his trusted friends in the church.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Mediaslayer

I agree. Most of the Bible is symbolic and should not be taken literally.

The test is amusing precisely because of its bias.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@29 September 2003 - 20:35
    I scored a nice 19
    If you look carefully noname12, you *might* see something.
    I dont get it

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Poster
    Originally posted by Biggles@30 September 2003 - 01:01
    Mediaslayer

That would be why they call them parables.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    BANNED
    Originally posted by JPaul+30 September 2003 - 09:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 30 September 2003 - 09:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Biggles@30 September 2003 - 01:01
    Mediaslayer

That would be why they call them parables. [/b][/quote]
    So where does parable begin and truth end?

Is the virgin birth parable or truth? walking on water? water to wine? raising the dead? resurrection?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MediaPlayer
    Now, I could make an entire site filled with "questions" that were set up to reinforce my anti-billy dean belief system ...
    That&#39;d be fun, calm down first tho&#39;, untwist your knickers, you&#39;ll have to convince people you had an opinion of your own.

RF
    Billy, attacking a religion is offensive in this context.

I dont mind you all debating religion per se........but attacking someones religious beliefs is offensive, not only to those you attack, but to any others of the same faith.
    Questioning people&#39;s beliefs is NOT offensive. Maybe you should read back over the offensive comments made about me in this thread, you don&#39;t see me complaining.

WediaPlayer again ..
    What the writer of this feeble "test" didn&#39;t notice is that the word sword is being used symbolically, as is common in the bible. The church interprets the word sword to be a reference to what is called the "sword of division"
    What makes the church&#39;s interpretation any more valid than someone else&#39;s?

I&#39;ve never seen so much fuss made over a simple "test", this forum is full of them. Must be school holidays. Oh, for more posters like Hobbes, EPB and Biggles, bring back the humour&#33;&#33;

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    Poster
    The bible gets stranger and stranger as you go back in time. That&#39;s because the hebrews told oral stories about god and the ancient figureheads of the jews. It was never written down until later in the text. That&#39;s why there&#39;s so much balogna in the bible.

That&#39;s also why you should NEVER use the bible as a source of historical fact, only as a source of wisdom (although slavery and being stoned to death can be omitted ).

If God exists, he needs to clarify. Now.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    BANNED
    If God exists, he needs to clarify. Now.
    I hope you&#39;re not holding your breath&#33;

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Poster
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@30 September 2003 - 00:16
    I hope you&#39;re not holding your breath&#33;
    LOL I&#39;m not. After all, it&#39;s been 2000 years since we&#39;ve heard from the deity. Maybe he&#39;ll pop up again after Yellowstone erupts and blankets the earth in ash, kiling all the sinners&#33;

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    Poster
    Actually the religion that i think is the BEST old religion is Buddhism. Except for the reincarnation/Nirvana parts, its wisdom is universal. Nothing about beating slaves or stoning to death. Meditation is scientifically proven to relax your mind and reduce stress.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast