Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikita's Hi-end Pc....

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by nikita69@29 September 2003 - 14:27
    [*]TOTAL Price range - $2,000 - $7,000
    Go put that Money down on a Harley Davidson.Hell you could get a bottom of the Line Harley for $7000.And it will last longer then that PC will.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+30 September 2003 - 08:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 30 September 2003 - 08:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nikita69@29 September 2003 - 14:27
    [*]TOTAL Price range - &#036;2,000 - &#036;7,000
    Go put that Money down on a Harley Davidson.Hell you could get a bottom of the Line Harley for &#036;7000.And it will last longer then that PC will. [/b][/quote]
    What sort of cooling would you use on that? I know the second &#39;processor&#39; used to get a bit hot, is that still the case?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Surprised no ones mentioned it, but the mach 38 that someone posted in the "if you had all the money in theworld", the top end version goes for &#036;7,800, i don&#39;t think you get a monitor though and you&#39;d have to wait till November, but other than that it looks errrm above average i&#39;d say.
    http://www.go-l.com/store/hardware/machl38.htm

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    I have a question. Why 2 DVD burners?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    money to burn, why else?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    This project is on hold until the new board/cpu is released in a month or two.
    @Somebody1234 - twice the fun

NOTE TO MYSELF:

For the amount of cash you&#39;re willing to spend, you should look into scsi drives. 7200&#39;s are over rated in most cases. I&#39;ve found little difference in performance between 5400 and 7200 aside from the cache. The 7200&#39;s just take too long to spin up when you&#39;re using them on and off. They only really have an advantage when or if you do a lot of video encoding or things like that. Long intensive operations.

With the scsi drives you&#39;d then want to check out the scsi motherboards.

For the OS, you might like win2k advanced server a lot better than win2k pro desktop. If you can&#39;t locate a copy easily, I can hook you up with an adminitrators copy. No keys required, CAL&#39;s included.
    With win2k advanced server, you can use true asynchronous multi processing - dual processors - for a major performance gain.
    Don&#39;t cheap out on the power supply either. Lot of people will say this or that is good enough. Basically, it&#39;s never too much but it&#39;s easy to use up an under rated supply. I&#39;ve seen some&nbsp; 520 watt dual fan supplies priced pretty reasonably. If you&#39;re going to go dual Processor, consider dual power supply as well. 2 x 450 maybe.
    ur knowldge about several topics always entices me to learn more.
    I do agree with u on the scsi HD, however i&#39;ll be doing some encoding and for scsi motherboard, frankly i haven&#39;t touched that tech in a while and was considering to take ur advice and get the scsi MB with 1 scsi HD for encoding. so the clostest i got in research is SuperMicros, didn&#39;t find out for ASUS. Now, are u suggesting that scsi is better? also keep in mind that i need to have the option of next gen cpu.

Also, ilw suggested the extreme version http://www.go-l.com/store/hardware/machl38.htm .

ur right about the power supply & OS, i wont be cheap about it and will get the 2x450 or higher if avail.
    I like that extreme version&#33; especially the option to add 72 additional PCI slots. That&#39;s something I&#39;ve always been short of. I&#39;ve got 5 slots now and my ethernet adaptors take up 3 of them. Not much room for tv cards, modems, ATA/IDE controllers, etc.
    Scsi drives are definitely better but even if you can&#39;t go full scsi system, make sure it has the ability to use the controllers. I think you might be able to rig something up with a pci interface/controller. I have one old 8gig 5400 rpm scsi drive that outperforms all of my newer drives everytime. I&#39;ve run basic systems on that one at times as well as served files fom it and it&#39;s noticeably faster.
    I really haven&#39;t played with all the latest ram but I should soon, I get problems with a lot of stuff because I have standard ram and ECC is the recommended choice for a server. Might be something to look into.

The scsi link you gave is a bit extreme in some areas but weak in others. You don&#39;t need a triple redundant power supply, it&#39;s so unlikely the first and second would ever fail together. A piggyback system with separate drive power is a better choice. Or just a larger supply in the first place.
    Looks like you&#39;ll have to do a fine balancing act between server/office/desktop. It&#39;s not easy

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@30 September 2003 - 15:09
    I have a question. Why 2 DVD burners?
    that is good question

proud to be american

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123