Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Career Path

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    After doing a degree in maths, I then did a computer programming course in my own time for a year, and ended up getting a job as a programmer in a small software company. I then gained valuable experience there, and I've been in the same line of business at various other companies for the past 15 years.

After having chosen a degree that I thought would be most useful in later life, but one that I ended up hating doing, I'm glad that afterwards I chose a career that I do enjoy tremendously (most of the time).

Having said that there is more than just an element of being in the right place at the right time, in any career path.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    After doing a degree in maths, I then did a computer programming course in my own time for a year, and ended up getting a job as a programmer in a small software company. I then gained valuable experience there, and I've been in the same line of business at various other companies for the past 15 years.

After having chosen a degree that I thought would be most useful in later life, but one that I ended up hating doing, I'm glad that afterwards I chose a career that I do enjoy tremendously (most of the time).

Having said that there is more than just an element of being in the right place at the right time, in any career path.
    Without logic and Math I imagine(I know) it would be difficult to be a good programmer.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Or a good killer...for counting bullets, determining whom to shoot, like that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Hey jordo, shit you're still on these boards? (well this thread is old...)

I fucked up on my career path, thought I could make it as a pilot in the air force, 3 years later and I'm still doing paperwork. Lesson learned.

Now I just want to go back to school, earn my degree and well, fuck, I don't know what I want to do w/ my life anymore. My sights were set on getting my wings since I was a little kid, commercial aviation is hella expensive especially during these times.

Note to anyone who gives a shit: Choose your career path wisely, and keep some options open.
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 09-09-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    My career path, such as it is, could never have been planned for and probably couldn't be duplicated.
    Too much "right time, right place" kinda thing.

As an aside, I can't think of a single contemporary who actually followed through on their planned career...we all ended up doing weird things, unthinkable when we were yoots.
    I've been meaning to compliment you on your yoosage of that particular appellation.

I use it often, because I prefer it to the other.

Actually, it is a proper part of the conservative inflection, but not to worry - it won't hurt you at all (at all).
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12