Thread: Large usenet group listing

Hiya,

I have Giganews and wondered the best way to list a large binary group to look through in full without it lagging the hell out of my PC or taking ages to list.

I've used Newsleecher and also Xnews.
    Both are a pain to list large main binary groups.

How does everyone list them and browse them? Is there a quicker and accurate (so nothing is missed out) web service provider to do this easier?

Thanks in advance.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    The software can make a big difference. Right now the best newsreader *hands down* for fetching headers is Usenet Explorer. UE is very resource efficient and is the only software that supports header compression on all major providers. Compressed headers download in a fraction of the time as uncompressed headers.

Newsleecher is planning to support header compression in future versions. Newsbin Pro was the first to support compression in Astraweb, and has recently added Giganews. (Giganews has its own proprietary SSL/compression tool that will also do essentially the same thing by adding compression and SSL to newsreaders that don't support it.)

Having said all that, I think browsing headers on big groups is often much easier on a usenet search engine like www.Binsearch.info - which also allows searching for files directly (without having to browse headers).

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    The software can make a big difference. Right now the best newsreader *hands down* for fetching headers is Usenet Explorer. UE is very resource efficient and is the only software that supports header compression on all major providers. Compressed headers download in a fraction of the time as uncompressed headers.

Newsleecher is planning to support header compression in future versions. Newsbin Pro was the first to support compression in Astraweb, and has recently added Giganews. (Giganews has its own proprietary SSL/compression tool that will also do essentially the same thing by adding compression and SSL to newsreaders that don't support it.)

Having said all that, I think browsing headers on big groups is often much easier on a usenet search engine like www.Binsearch.info - which also allows searching for files directly (without having to browse headers).
    Hi thanks for your reply.

Just to comment on the last part.
    I thought that Binsearch for more handy for finding items but not for listing a whole group or have I missed something with Binsearch?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    newsgroupie
    At the top of the Binsearch page is a link that says "browse newsgroups" - and using that kind of web interface is much faster than downloading headers in a newsreader.

The *better* newsreaders have one big advantage over using sites like Binsearch or NZBindex to browse for files -- newsreaders give you tools to apply custom filters in order to block out the virus-floods.
    Last edited by zot; 07-12-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost