Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question @kimsufi 500G/C-05G users.

Hello

I have a question regarding kimsufi servers, how many torrents can this server handles?
    spec:
    Intel Celeron D/215/220
    2 GB ram ddr2
    500 GB
    Last edited by bcxxx; 08-30-2009 at 09:54 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    seedhost-net
    i would have to say it depends on wich torrents, music torrents (size ~100-200mb) i would say about 50, if you put DVDRS(4.4gb) i would have to say 20 max at same time to achiveve good speeds, but it depends on the cpu, sometimes ovh gives 1.2ghz and sometimes 2.66ghz, this is big differnce, the hdd itself is pretty fast(sata2).

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    TONYSALEM78
    Can anyone give some more input on this box. I am thinking of getting one of these but i would like to know good/bads about this particular box. Surely there are a few people with one of these?

Thank you very much.
    TS78

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    A kimi is a kimi is a kimi is a kimi..the C-05 starter package is low cost box that will run 1-3 users-- Even though you'd get 4IP's, I wouldn't try to run any virtual vps slices off it, but you shouldn't have any problems having a sturdy seedbox for yourself.

In terms of active torrents running? Like they said above, it really depends on your setup..Personally I wouldn't run more that 15-20 max torrents on one of these servers. But I'm not a heavy personal torrenter and clean my files fairly often.

The C-05 server that I have itself is fine. I ordered mine from Seedhost. Took a while to get setup from OVH..About 8 or 9 days I think. Pretty long, but unlike some other resellers(we all know who, lol!), there was communication and the resetting of my start date when it was activated. Like the famed SP-Mini, I think this is an issue only on the new C-05's because of the demand. A full 500 GB is a plus+ in any seedbox enviroment as well.

I have mine setup multiuser w/quotas using tFlux B4RT on the super-slick Cherokee server and MYSQL - I've seen some pretty good burst speeds on certain torrents, up to 8Mbs down, but with sustained speeds going up I've been a bit fairly disappointed. Even though intuitively I feel that OVH has screwed with their bandwidth somehow lately, this probably has more to do with my box setup and choice of torrents.

Still I haven't had any problems with the server or with seedhost. Very friendly and helpful in my requests.

I use TFlux because of multi user setups and wanting to experiment with the platform. I may get better speed off a wine/utorrent setup as the RAM certainly is there. But personally I'm tired of uTorrent on a seedbox because it's too easy to setup! Not much of a challenge..

In terms of my C-05 handling a TFLUX setup? hasn't been a problem. I've seen no performance issues in regards to the HD or ram..Though I haven't really put it to the test yet and the server is running about 15 torrents right now with server load never running above 1.0..

Funny enough, some of my other users have been getting better sustained speeds on my old Server.lu ds2000 which is on the same software setup as the kimi c-05 but running transmission 1.73 -

But again like they stated above, performance really depends on your setup, trackers, torrents etc..

Seedhost initially set me up with utorrent vnc etc for free..i actually had to ask them to wipe it and send me just my root SSH login so I could start from scratch..

Thats about it..I've only had it now about 10 days and I'll probably renew it and drop my old KimiL because of the bigger HD space..

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    winmac's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Agreed with brgroup. Do not use more than 30 torrents ( depend on your torrent size).

However, I won't recommend Tflux-b4rt as torrent client. It uses alot of cpu when leeching and seeding at "high speeds".

Use rtorrent 0.85 and you will love the constant fast speed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    I have the same box. Currently have 27 torrents running perfectly, although only about 2 of them are uploading with any speed. I've never had any trouble with bottlenecks, 2 of them are 70 - 80 gb each, the rest are between 4 and 13gb each.

Unless you are a very high user, go for it.

PS. I use ubuntu with rtorrent.
    Last edited by RichardC; 09-22-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Add a PS.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    I'm also thinking about getting this server to run a Ubuntu/rTorrent seedbox on it.

But I hear people are talking about that you can seed about 20-30 torrents on a server like this. But I'm wondering if you'r talking about active torrents, or the total amount of seeded torrents?

What I need is to be able to seed about 200-300 torrents, preferably. But the number of active torrents will probably never go over 5-10, since these are all on private trackers with not so much activity.

My question is, will this server do for my needs? It certainly has the memory needed for all those torrents, but I'm wondering if the cpu is big enough to handle all those idle torrents?

regards
    Frímann

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I was talking about active torrents, in a single or multi-user config in my post. Idle torrents won't affect your cpu..

Others might prefer different clients for mass torrent seeding, I suggest runnning cli rtorrent on a headless Debian 5 server to do what your planning (make sure to adjust your hash checking settings in rtorrent.rc). There's a learning curve to rtorrent using a shell, but once you've gotten the hang of it, it's quite nice and elegant..

You could also run your rtorrent using a web interface (rutorrent/wtorrent/n2hell) for ease but you'll have to install apache or lighttpd webserver or Java interface depending on what you use. They will both affect your processing power and memory during use..

Otherwise with an optimized rtorrent setup, and that many active torrents you'll only be limited on hard drive space..

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Since I'm only familiar with Ubuntu I'd rather use that than have to learn another distro.

But if there is allot to gain then I don't mind

Is there any reason I should rather use Debian 5, than f.x. Ubuntu Server? I think it's rather headless, doesn't come with a gui f.x. But I don't know about other preinstalled packages though.

regards
    Frímann

Quote Originally Posted by brgroup View Post
    I was talking about active torrents, in a single or multi-user config in my post. Idle torrents won't affect your cpu..

Others might prefer different clients for mass torrent seeding, I suggest runnning cli rtorrent on a headless Debian 5 server to do what your planning (make sure to adjust your hash checking settings in rtorrent.rc). There's a learning curve to rtorrent using a shell, but once you've gotten the hang of it, it's quite nice and elegant..

You could also run your rtorrent using a web interface (rutorrent/wtorrent/n2hell) for ease but you'll have to install apache or lighttpd webserver or Java interface depending on what you use. They will both affect your processing power and memory during use..

Otherwise with an optimized rtorrent setup, and that many active torrents you'll only be limited on hard drive space..

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster
    To be honest apache will not use up many resources, though I still don't like to offer rtorrent preinstalled to my clients as its hard to get one's head around it. uTorrent is sufficient for most users, and if necessary we could install this per request, though I have not seen need for it.

Compared to uTorrent, do you get much better speeds using rtorrent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast