Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help...Comcast is going to cut me off if I don't stay under 250 GB's this month

Diamond Dealer BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Hi, I am looking for some help. Comcast called last week and said i DLed & Upled a combined 772 GB's for the month of June and said they will disconnect my service if I do it again. Since they sneakily implemented their 250 GB limit in October 2008, they never had a problem with me using their bandwidth as much as I normally do, which is way over 250 GBs per month. 772 GBs is a bit higher than average because I got a whole bunch of WII games, HD movies, and a couple xbox360 games last month. I have since, started monitoring my usage with net-meter, and it isn't looking to good for me. I was wondering if there is a way to block comcast from seeing how much bandwidth I use each month, because I will inevitably be disconnected. I do not want to curb my usage because then I will not be able to Download what I like and I like to upload twice as much as I download. What can I do from being disconnected and download/upload as much as I want?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Ummmmm, change ISP's, stop downloading or get disconnected. Those seem like your only choices. Good luck
    Go Leafs Go.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    E3DaMeX's Avatar Da 2nd Boss
    Changing your ISP would probably be the best choice if you know you won't make it. If FioS is in your area get it. =P

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Diamond Dealer BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Malus View Post
    Changing your ISP would probably be the best choice if you know you won't make it. If FioS is in your area get it. =P
    thank you for your help. I do have fios in my area. do you know off hand if it is any good compared to comcast?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    PlayeR's Avatar (•̃͡-̮•̃͡) BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by mad555 View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to block comcast from seeing how much bandwidth I use each month, because I will inevitably be disconnected. I do not want to curb my usage because then I will not be able to Download what I like and I like to upload twice as much as I download. What can I do from being disconnected and download/upload as much as I want?
    Any help is appreciated.
    no you cant do that....if there is a method for that. then people will just take the cheapest package and download as much as they can...

what you can do is either download less or change ISP..

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Get usenet.

Don't seed back 2x what you upload.

Get a better isp.

FiOS is awesome.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    PackMeIn Staff
    FIOS is fantastic, infinitely better than Comcast. If you switch, you'll love it.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Well, that is a lot for you to be using all i can do is download around 70gb a month sometimes anyways if you need to seed what you download get a seedbox if you got the money for torrents you could use newsgroups but they probably wouldn't have everything you want.
    Last edited by Fearful; 07-14-2009 at 05:29 AM.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    You can contact Comcast and discuss your usage. Ask if they have a package that is not limited to 250GB. You should be able to get some kind of estimate of your "normal" usage.

I called them the other day (for a different matter) and ended up talking to a guy about faster service. They have several packages, including some for business. I ended up increasing my speed to the next higher level. If I went any higher, I would need a different modem so I stopped there. If they call me, I will be willing to pay for increased capacities.

At least it is an option...

Please let me know what package you do go with (if you stay with Comcast) and what the cost will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Have you ever heard of the General use policy? Seriously if everyone downloaded that much a month then the ISP would you kaput.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast