Thread: how to hook up ps2 to pc ?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    so, i wanna play my ps2, but i wanna hook it up to my pc. better monitor vs tv and better sound. i don't have a receiver and don't plan on buying one. i have 5.1 surround sound with a creative sound card. now, i'm guessing imma have to use the optical out on the ps2 and run an optical cable to the optical in on the sound card. then the video cables from the ps2 to my monitor. will this work? also, will the gameplay be as fluent as it would be going directly to the tv?

i haven't tried to do anything and have googled this and have found mixed answers. i do not have the optical in sound card atm either. that will be sumthing i will have to buy. my current sound card does not have the option. be4 i spend any cash i'm just inquirering if this will indeed be good and work.

2. Games   -   #2
    Poster
    I'm interested in this as well.

The sound shouldn't be a problem.
    There are connectors that can convert the red and white audio cables to a jack you can plug into your PC which you could probably pick up pretty easily off of ebay or the likes.

I've got no idea about the video though.

Goodluck

3. Games   -   #3
    keemosabi's Avatar Poster
    You are correct about the sound; the audio optical out from the PS2 to the computer will be your best option.

However, in regard to the video connection, what inputs does your monitor have? If it's a standard monitor with only a VGA input, you will probably need a composite (assuming your PS2's video output is composite) to VGA converter. Also, the gameplay should be about as fluent on the computer as on the TV because most computer monitors have the same or higher refresh rate than most TV's.

4. Games   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by keemosabi View Post
    However, in regard to the video connection, what inputs does your monitor have?
    it's a 24' WS LCD w/composite video, component video, vga & dvi.
    Last edited by mr. nails; 07-17-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added composite

5. Games   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keemosabi View Post
    However, in regard to the video connection, what inputs does your monitor have?
    it's a 24' WS LCD w/composite video, component video, vga & dvi.
    Then just hook up the ps2 to the monitor and use one of these for the sound:
    post-1209-1215464604_thumb.jpg
    RCA to 3.5mm adapter

Or just do your optical cable idea if that's what you want to do.

6. Games   -   #6
    so, bought me a component cable & a new sound card and now i have my ps2 up and running on my pc. :p

took sum trial & error to get my sound working, but it's working like a champ.

i bought:

Component Cable

Sound Card

Optical Cable

i previously bought the cheaper version of that sound card, but for the life of me it wouldn't install on my machine. lol, i tried for 3 hours.