Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have been reading How to change IP Address with NO LUCK

Bowen747x's Avatar Poster

Sick

FIRST OFF i didnt know where to post this? is there a more appropriate section? thanks

ok so i have taken all the standard steps... first in the Command Prompt i type ipconfig and ipconfig/release. ive done the network settings to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and changed it there. no matter what i do my original IP comes back

is there a better method? thanks again
    Last edited by Bowen747x; 07-17-2009 at 11:03 PM.
    tYiA

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Hombre's Avatar Finish Him !!!! BT Rep: +1
    turn off modem and then turn on. IP will change.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Do you have a router?
    If so, ipconfig does nothing whatsoever to your internet ip.

Go into your router's settings and change the mac address then restart the router and modem. That's the only way that works for me.

You could also try unplugging the modem overnight.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    im sorry i forgot to mention, no router just the modem

also i have turned off the modem and turned on (usually 2-3 times a week)
    tYiA

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    if your connection is using a bridged mode, assuming it's a xDSL connection, it will only change the IP address if you change your mac address, as tesco said before. The ISP's DHCP server will bind an IP to a NIC mac address, so until the mac is changed, the IP will pretty much be static.
    I had the same IP for around 2 years, so you can see. Once they switched me to PPoE, my IP pretty much got dynamic as it should be. This was very useful to use rapidshare, as you may imagine.
    note that you can't change the modulation definitions, it's up to your ISP, so don't try going into PPoE/PPoA, because it won't work.

some routers do allow to change your mac address in-firmware. It happens with most D-link routers, though i had some Asus and Thomson routers too, and that option wasn't available. You can additionally try to change your NIC's mac using this nice free software called SMAC.

btw, what's your modem model ?
    Last edited by Cabalo; 07-18-2009 at 01:13 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    yes its DSL, i think its a SpeedStream 5200

i know a bit about computers, but less about networking. not to sure about this 'mac' you speak of... is there an easier way to 'trick' a website to think i have a new IP?
    tYiA

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Modify Headers. FF Extension.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Tip 1: Stop sucking.

Tip 2: Post in the right section.

Tip 4: On the remote chance that what tesco suggests doesn't work*: Disconnect the modem from the internets for a couple of hours. Change mac address again if possible. Reconnect modem.

Having said that: completely static IPs are very rare these days for private consumers, so it's generally possible to wait out the isp. Eventually your IP will change, if you stay disconnected long enough. It's most likely not impossible to change IP without changing mac address. I've had it happen plenty of times while I've been away. It may take a long time, though.

*it probably won't work unless it's got an inbuilt router/switch.

IPConfig /renew and IPConfig /release...waaaaait...IPConfig /renew might work differently.
    Last edited by Snee; 07-18-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: router -> modem, added more crap.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowen747x View Post
    yes its DSL, i think its a SpeedStream 5200

i know a bit about computers, but less about networking. not to sure about this 'mac' you speak of... is there an easier way to 'trick' a website to think i have a new IP?
    think of the mac address as your NIC's serial number.
    you can find SMAC here.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt9j80Jkc_A[/youtube]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast