Thread: Is Windows A Virus?

iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1.They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

2.Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.

3.Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.

4.Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. - Sigh.. Windows does that, too.

5.Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. - Yup, Windows does that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

2. Lounge   -   #2
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    he he so it's just a bug, I knew there was something wrong

3. Lounge   -   #3
    sumvell's Avatar Poster
    always knew that. piece of trash , thats wat windows is
    The early bird gets the worm. But the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    +1 Love that.

Too bad I still have to use it for my gaming needs. Well until codeweavers/WINE get things done right.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    rikenji's Avatar Member
    Viruses rarely take up a lot of system resources and make themselves detectable.
    So I don't totally agree with your points as viruses now are different but windows is still the same!

(This is posted on a browser using windows.. LOL)

6. Lounge   -   #6
    But if you leave the windows open, the bugs can get in.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by rikenji View Post
    Viruses rarely take up a lot of system resources and make themselves detectable.
    So I don't totally agree with your points as viruses now are different but windows is still the same!

(This is posted on a browser using windows.. LOL)
    That joke has been around since at least the mid-90s, when it was probably true.