Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Direct Downloads vs Newsgroups

Since its been a while since this topic was posted, anyone up for restarting this ? What are your experiences on Usenet vs DDL

DDL has expanded a lot, theres a huge bunch of hosters now and with a little juggling up between free hosts you can get very high speeds. Content wise .. while it s hard to find , ddl is very much on the top.

2. Newsgroups   -   #32
    mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    Sure DDL has expanded a lot, then again so has Usenet. The one major benefit I see of usenet vs. DDL is server propagation. With usenet, you don't lose everything when a provider leaves the game, whereas DDL providers seem flippant in this regard (retention of files depends on how it was posted vs. activity, in addition to the fact the provider must stay afloat). Plus usenet increases with each day, it's above 1100 days now with the big providers.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

3. Newsgroups   -   #33
    while the retention factor is true, If you have access to exclusive forums, You ll always find working links for ddl. Never failed me like that.

4. Newsgroups   -   #34
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    People still worry about retention? Astraweb is 1124 days so 1124 / 365 (days/yr) = 3.07945205. Over 3 years and it continues to rise!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. Newsgroups   -   #35
    The volume of files and the variety of filehosting is simply astounding. Filehosting > Newsgroups > Torrents.

And Filehosting is free

6. Newsgroups   -   #36
    Quote Originally Posted by harrydresden View Post
    And Filehosting is free
    Yes, sadly there aren't any free news providers.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. Newsgroups   -   #37
    johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    the only thingh i dislike about usenet is they troll with others releases
    eg:TB group(a.k.a TeddyBlue) is posted TrollololBlue
    KiNGS group i;ve seen they post it under Queens groups
    and so on.
    Last edited by johhny; 10-14-2011 at 04:30 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #38
    The thing with DDL is that there are limits to speed for free providers. I am never able to get the ful 12MB/s that I should be getting when using DDL, more often than not its below 1MB/s. Additionally, if I was to purchase an account for a DDL site, I would only have access to what's upload to that site, not others. If a file I wanted was not hosted on my provider, I'm SOL. For the same price as a DDL provider I can get amazing speeds and excellent retention.

Additionally, I value my time, and thus I don't want to have to juggle multiple free providers, alternating them for different files, or go link hunting. With usenet its easy.

9. Newsgroups   -   #39
    johhny's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    jalebi i don't see a free usenet provider that will give me maximum download speed??
    if you want premium you pay..or maybe someone will be kind enough to share an account with you

10. Newsgroups   -   #40
    I haven't got time to look for direct downloads, queue them up, then wait while they download at a capped speed. Would rather pay a few dollars a month for a usenet account that maxes out my connection.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast