Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct Downloads vs Newsgroups

beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    Being new to newsgroups and all, I'm curious what their advantages are over direct downloads. I've been downloading from direct downloads for quite awhile, and i can say that I've gotten lucky since I have never had premium with any service but have gotten fast speeds nevertheless (except for rapidshit, I hate that service with a passion but often find myself downloading from it). Currently, free ipv6 is treating me rather well but unfortunately I have not been able to find the same wealth of content that is offered through direct downloads, especially foreign material.

So I'm looking for feedback in a mainly these areas:

uploading
    security (not getting caught)
    downloading
    ease of use
    expense
    content

Feel free to add to this list and comment as you wish!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    uploading - Not even a contest , newsgroups much secure , all hosting sites will keep logs of your IP
    security (not getting caught) - Almost same , ISP's dont usually resort to http packet snooping etc , both are much safer than torrents
    downloading - Without premium , usenet , else ddl's
    ease of use - ddl's
    expense - usenet is cheaper if your usage is more than what rapidshare etc allow
    content - ddl's

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beansis View Post
    what their advantages are over direct downloads
    "direct downloads", in the past that was linking to demos/dead spaces, now it's pointing at rapidshare...

And maybe that is one of their disadvantages, often associated with the script kiddie type of business.

Quote Originally Posted by manu1991 View Post
    uploading - Not even a contest , newsgroups much secure
    Well I do not agree there is no contest, many usp will trace uploads and you might also get into trouble if you were publishing over their systems. Anyway what you can do is to insert files using a service with favorable policys, due to usenet's structure content will then be copied to all the other servers.

Newsgroups feature the possibility to globally search for and find files while file hosting leans against web based catalogues.
    Also there are plans for usenet offering unlimited downloading while most file hosting sites have limits, so it really depends on your profile.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    uploading - DDL, you have to read about uploading on Newsgroups, and thus might be hard for some.

security - Both are ok, Only a small amount of DDL providers support SSL, however most Usenet support SSL

downloading - Usenet

ease of use - Both are easy to setup but DDL sites don't need various apps eg. Binary grabber, par repairer etc.

expense - Usenet in the long run

content - DDL, Usenet is mostly for scene pres and high end p2p releases. DDL sites cater for scene/p2p releases.

I should not that it depends on the DDL site too. eg. tehPARADOX's security is much higher than say PSPiSO.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    For the average leech, Usenet is the best option for sure. Speed, content and security are unparalleled.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Yeah, definitely don't forget speed. With any good news provider you will be able to max out the download capacity on your internet connection. I've got friends in NYC that have no problem filling the 30megsof d/l speed that Verizon Fios gives them using Astraweb.

As for expense you can sign up with Astraweb for $11/mo using http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html . They say its a special offer but its been running for almost a year now.
    Last edited by unoriginal; 07-28-2009 at 04:58 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Also, if you look around you can get free Usenet providers too, and but not very good retention, and if you go premium Usenet, mostly all files stay until they hit 300+ days of retention, not any DDL services I know keep files up that long, hot files like a few hours a day if your lucky, but I've notice news provider deleting articles but still better than DDL.
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    well thanks for all your responses guys

so far my experience is that usenet is good for very large files, such as 10GB x264 movies, especially since you get good speed and there's no hassle with all the links.

I'm pretty picky about what I download so I kinda generally prefer direct dl because there is usually more info about the file and there is quite a bit more hard to find and good quality content available.

Also, there are plenty of large files available in 1GB links on direct dl, so its not that inconvenient. I imagine direct dl is pretty safe because there's no seeding like in torrents and it can and is also used for legit purposes, like usenet.

Concerning uploading, does this guide entail all I that need need to know about usenet or is there more?
    http://www.usenetshack.com/the-defin...ost-to-usenet/

and which providers have the best policies?
    is it safe to do through free ipv6 lol?

As far as expense goes, usenet seem like the better deal. The only dl provider that in my opinion might be better is megashares because its cheap, unlimited and has similar content. The problem with paying for direct downloads is that the files that you may want to download are scattered all over different file hosts. I've never payed for anything tho . . .

And finally, how is tehParadox safer than pspiso?
    the majority of their uploads are to the same hosting sites - megaupload and rapidshit

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Finding content on usenet is easy with any of the many indexing or spotting sites which are constantly posted about here as well as FST itself. What more than an nfo does anyone need?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by realityhd View Post
    Finding content on usenet is easy with any of the many indexing or spotting sites which are constantly posted about here as well as FST itself. What more than an nfo does anyone need?
    Thorough encoding details, screenshots, downloader feedback, etc. . . that kind of extra attention is usually available with direct downloads. Could be life saying if it concerns a Window OS

As far as content goes only recent and common stuff seems to be available as nzb - I have yet to see any Sektor Gaza albums, that is

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast