Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to kill P2P Filesharing

stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Just a daft post on my part before i go to bed (but i have seen a lot worse on here lol) and obviously the companies wont do this, but this is how they could kill Filesharing.

Not in any order, and they are not linked. (unless you want them to be)

1: Stop releasing loads of crap, to see every film, listen to every album, play every game, buy all the updated software etc etc you would need to be a millionaire, and there is still 5 months of the year left ffs.

2: Bring prices down accross the board, so intsead of £40 for a new game, it will be £5 for a new game, £20 for Blu-ray £5 for a Blu-ray etc.

3: Bring a blockbuster out at a reduced price. FF 14, GT5, etc etc at £5, it will be the top selling game of all time, as a crap load of people would buy it, and they would probably make more money than charging £40 for each copy in the long run. then once thats worked, start doing point 2. (obviously if they try this with a game no one has ever heard of, people will just think its crap and not buy it, as a £5 game cant be as good as a £40 game surely, that is why it has to be a blockbuster).

4: Bring out a sliding scale for prices. They have beta testers, and movie/album previews etc, get them to vote on the quality of the game/movie/album, the better it is the more they can charge for it, the worse it is, the less they can, so a game that is top notch they can sell for £30 max, a game that is attrocious (and there are plenty of those), £5 max.

5: Bring North American and European pricing together, instead of, game sells for $40 in the USA lets make it £40 in the UK (they do this with everything), well hmm no, a $40 game is only about £25 (cant be bothered to go to xe.com to check properly) so it should be £25 not £40 over here. Which would be a lot farer on everyone, but knowing the companies, they would make it £40 and $70 for a game the greedy gits lol

Like i said just a daft post with some mindless thoughts because i am tired, and i bet i regret this in the morning lol

Obviously there are other ways to kill it, but going after everyone under the sun, and announcing it to the world is just making it more widespread, and is not working at all.
    Last edited by stoi; 07-30-2009 at 03:22 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Adam1990's Avatar Layin down the law BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    A few problems. Ill go in order

1. It is not just one company releasing all this crap. The entertainment industry is very large and there are tons of companies looking to grab a piece of the pie. I personally like having more of a selection to choose from than less of a selection. Less of a selection means higher prices for everything else.

2. First off it costs a lot of money to develop a game, get it ready for release, produce all of the casing, print out all of the inside covers, ship the game to the retailers, and give the retailers their cut for selling the game. (same principle for movies) I just don't that that 5 euros is enough per game for them to bother producing the games.

3. Going back to point 2, it doesn't matter if its the greatest selling game of all time if there is no profit margin on it. They need to make money, not break even.

4. This is a good idea except for the fact they would never admit to their product being shit, and even if they know it is shit they will try and trick as many people as possible into paying full price for it. Admitting the game is shit and putting the price at 5 euros is saying in bold letters DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IT SUCKS.

5. Yea your right, sure makes me glad to be an american. But hey you guys are used to getting screwed over there =P. US always gets the hometown discount.

There is also one more point to be made. Why the hell would I pay 5 euros to buy a game that I can get for free. I personally don't care how much it costs in stores because I will just download it for free anyway. P2P will never die for this reason. Your suggestion just makes entertainment easier for the common folk who pay for their shit already. We are all the rebellious type around here.

PZ.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Mostly civil BT Rep: +3
    I wouldn't buy things which I get for free,that's what it boils down to.So I don't think p2p can be killed unless you punish/kill(whichever is feasible)p2pers.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    (ironically) The MPAA would keeps putting the costly FBI warnings on DVD's which you can't skip or fast forward. Poor legit customers .

I miss the days of VHS!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    (ironically) The MPAA would keeps putting the costly FBI warnings on DVD's which you can't skip or fast forward. Poor legit customers .

I miss the days of VHS!
    I think their intention is to make the legit customers pissed off at piraters, and hopefully take their side in the everlasting war on piracy.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post

I miss the days of VHS!
    I think their intention is to make the legit customers pissed off at piraters, and hopefully take their side in the everlasting war on piracy.
    now thats thinking out of the box ..
    Last edited by apextwin146; 07-30-2009 at 10:41 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    4: Bring out a sliding scale for prices. They have beta testers, and movie/album previews etc, get them to vote on the quality of the game/movie/album, the better it is the more they can charge for it, the worse it is, the less they can
    lol, don't you think it's a bit more complex than that ?
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    alfry1010's Avatar Be aware of the HD BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    1.There are so different test for different people but i'm agree that there are a ton of crap all around

2 and 3.I agree that 20£ is expensive and that they should down the price because the game industry is now the first entertainement industry but 5£ is just too low so 10£ could be a good price.

4.They do some preview test but the fact is that the product should please the maximum of audience so it fit the middle class middle family...so most of the time you will find this crap but some nice idea from little compagny could be awesome like "world of goo". Moreover the marketing put every buyer in different category so you can't decide that you're category is the best and should be sell at 30£ and that the others are crap and should be sold at 5£.

5.yeah it's a shame i'm from france and every product from US cost the same price but in euros so a game of 40$ cost 40€ so 20% higher...what a shame !

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    If they really want to make a counterbalance they have to create something like the iTunes Store. The files gotta be almost for free. Nothing more than one dollar. Movies have to be better quality and be available faster than than scene releases. You should be able to max out your 100Mbit connection with a few clicks and download the latest movies and music. Almost everything that comes out should be available.

There's no way in the world that a commercial company can achieve that.

You can't turn back technology. Filesharing just startet. A company would be more than happy about the growth rate that filesharing has. Every third internet user practices illegal filesharing nowadays. It will never die. They can't criminalise a whole society.

The digital revolution will turn into a copyright revolution. Digital media will lose its price in the long run. Simply because they cannot compete.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 07-30-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Missing word.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    If they really want to make a counterbalance they have to create something like the iTunes Store. The files gotta be almost for free. Nothing more than one dollar. Movies have to be better quality and be available faster than than scene releases. You should be able to max out your 100Mbit connection with a few clicks and download the latest movies and music. Almost everything that comes out should be available.

There's no way in the world that a commercial company can achieve that.

You can't turn back technology. Filesharing just startet. A company would be more than happy about the growth rate that filesharing has. Every third internet user practices illegal filesharing nowadays. It will never die. They can't criminalise a whole society.

The digital revolution will turn into a copyright revolution. Digital media will lose its price in the long run. Simply because they cannot compete.
    Well said! I'm thinking of something to add, yet nothing comes to mind.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast