Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Here Know A Lot About Cars And Maintenance?

Poster
    i have a new car, well its not that new year 2001 but i will be changing my coolant/antifreeze myself. the thing is my manual says i need a glycol/ethynol based solution with a MOAT additive. i cant find any with this additive at a auto store and if i take it to the dealer they want to charge me out the butt for this svc. would it hurt any to use just regular coolant solution?
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

2. Lounge   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    What kind of car?

Do you know if it has an aluminum or cast iron engine block/head?

I'd be hard put to believe there is anything peculiar about the antifreeze; if what is currently in your car is "green" or "orange/pink" in color generally determines it's formulation-you should be able to tell the guy (or girl) at your parts store which color, and receive the correct stuff, I think.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Aberrant
    I've never heard of MOAT.

I'm guessing it's an acronym.... but of what?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    its a pt cruiser, and i dont really know what the engine block is made of but i think i'll call the parts store to check
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

5. Lounge   -   #5
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

6. Lounge   -   #6

I&#39;m guessing it&#39;s an acronym.... but of what?

Of luv mayb

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Aberrant

8. Lounge   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Multispecific Organic Anion Transporter.

:&#39;(
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Ripley02-

I think MOAT is HOAT, actually-stands for "something" organic acid "something" if I remember correctly.

I found this for you-it is 2002 spec, but still applies:

The orange coolant is called by the generic name &#39;Dex-Cool&#39;. Even though that&#39;s a GM trade name, everyone uses it. Any brand of Dex-Cool will work. I use the Halvoline brand @ &#036;6.79 / gallon.

The green coolant must not be mixed with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant a complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.

Caution - Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Doing so will reduce the corrosion protection and may result in premature water pump seal failure. If non-HOAT coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified coolant as soon as possible.

Source - 2002 PT Cruiser Service Manual
    &#092;

Hope it helps.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Aberrant
    Originally posted by lynx@1 October 2003 - 12:02
    Multispecific Organic Anion Transporter.

:&#39;(
    You forgot to say "Bort&#33; Bort&#33; Bort&#33;"
    • I don&#39;t understand what that means either.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast