Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BLURAY Rips--- EasyPlay on DISK...... Solution..?

Quote Originally Posted by drokk54 View Post
    yeah, its X264 (?)

But thats not standard enough!

The Public want a disk they can stick in their players. And then swap with theire neighbors....... lol
    Actually, just like AVCHD was just a couple years ago, with the PS3 the only thing out there that could play that 'type' of disk (with h/x264 encoding), the newest 'batch' of players (jvc, lg, and a couple of others just coming out right now) can play BD, AVCHD, x264/mkv, and in the case of I belive the LG, whatever wacky HD divx format there is.

So, that's the latest wave, and the early adopters of BD players are simply going to be left behind (or left wanting to upgrade).

Again, the 'problem' with streaming vrs. low-cost removables (dvd5/9) is the (high) probability of loss due to drive failure. My 'small' RAID array has been attempting a rebuild for just about one full week now, and I'm about to give up (I had about 1/3rd of the array backed up on other drives, though, so it's not a 'complete' loss, although I'm sure one or more of the drives is toast).

So even for a 'short term' solution, filing up a bunch of drives with stuff is,,, VERY short term. I have 4.5TB of drive space crammed fill of just stuff I've leeched off the newsgroups, not even counting the 2TB of stuff on that hosed raid array.

But I'm ramping up to go into some full-scale production of mkv's just as soon as I get all the h/w and s/w together, just like I did with standard DVD's almost 10 years ago.

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    just use mkv2vob and a flash drive. remember to use the 3.99 gb file setting in mkv2vob. If you are intent on using your ps3 as a media player this is the way to go. I believe there is also a utility called swiss knife that you can format a external drive to have files over 4 gb. You still should use mkv2vob on the files anyway. Also on a flash drive you have to make a folder called "video" and put everything there.

I don't think its worth the trouble converting to dvd-5 to play on the ps3. I suggest getting a networked media tank.
    x264 is the standard codec for hd material. Its so effective that you can compress large 1080p sources down to 720p and not tell much of a difference.
    Last edited by Sporkk; 08-14-2009 at 01:50 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I've always though in some instances to me anyway some 720p and 1080p sources looked/sounded the same, now I know I'm not crazy!
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Well it can't really look the same since the width of the two are different. 720p has to have a 1280 width and a 1080p has to have 1920 width.

But in terms of quality and transparency to the source some 720p can look like the 1080p in terms of quality if the source is shitty

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    I've always though in some instances to me anyway some 720p and 1080p sources looked/sounded the same, now I know I'm not crazy!
    It really has more to do with the 'quality' of the display unit, not the encoding or transmission. Being a very early adopter, neither of my displays do 1080P, and only one does 720P (they both do 1080i though). NONE of the LCD displays I see at the local stores come close to the quality of the 10 year old displays I own... But the ARE broadcast-grade displays.

I've d/l'ed several movies with both 720P and 1080P, and can't see any difference either. But it will have to wait until the next 'upgrade' go-around with a top-notch 1080P plasma (most probably a Panasonic, as it has the best reviews, now that Pioneer has dropped production of plasmas and sold the plant to Panasonic), and that puts it in the 2011 time frame (unless the economy collapses yet again).

The thing a lot of people forget about, is the audio. LOTS of x264 recodes have full-bitrate DTS (1.5+Mb/s) down-sampled from the HD audio (Dolby HD or DTS HD), and for most, it's almost overkill, as there is the option during recoding to do the audio at half-bitrate (768Kb/s) DTS, I've only seen one example of that. That's a LOT of bits, and one has to remember the audio is constant, not variable, like the video.

But until I get set up and do some 'real' testing, it's up in the air. And, a LOT of the Blu-Ray discs are pretty poor quality, if the 'high-end' magazines I read are correct. Again, the studios are following the same track with HD as they did with standard DVD's some 10 years ago... lots of poor quality mastering out there.

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    tufu1019's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Anyone just want to enjoy the HD contents easily like playing DVD by putting the disc and playing with remote
    should know something about mini-BD,BD-9,BD-25,and even the more advanced RBD whcih all you can call knockoffs of blu-ray.
    Most of these are discussed in Chinese but I think this
    http://www.highdefforum.com/high-def...d-players.html
    is a good beginning.
    Actually you can find many BD-9,BD-25,or RBD to download in some tackers esp. in Chinese just like there are many movies in AVCHD format available all over the internet.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    i have a 32 LCD , and i thins i much better to play on 1080p

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by tradeo View Post
    i have a 32 LCD , and i thins i much better to play on 1080p
    720p will look just as good, don't bother.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123