Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adsl Modems.

Poster
    hey i was just wondering if anyone knows what the best modem for online gaming and downloading on adsl. im thinking of gettin a 512/128kb connection and was told that the modem below is pretty good.

Billion Dual Port Ethernet Modem- Router

if anyone knows any other good modems for $200 or less ( in aus money ) then please post the name and a pic if you can.

thnx in advanced.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    you get to choose which adsl modem to use?

doesn't your isp tell you which model to buy?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    128k upload might mean your games are a little laggy in large matches, depsnding of course on the type of games you want to play
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    nah i can choose from them or go buy one my self from the shop

edit: i mostly play half-life and its mods.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    It&#39;s unlikely you would notice any difference between modems with regards to performance. Minimum connection speeds between the pc and an adsl modem is 10mbps (for ethernet, 12mpbs for usb1.1), which is 16 times your combined upload and download speed. If you have fast ethernet or usb 2.0 the connection speed to the modem is hundreds of times your combined upload/download speed.

If you want better performance, it&#39;s the adsl speed you need consider, not the modem. If you are only connecting 1 pc, you only need a simple modem, not a modem/router.

If you really want a modem/router, try this one, you may have to search around a bit to find it in Australia though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    ahhh ok, so it doesnt really matter wich modem it is, just the connection speed.

so do you know if with a 512kb/128kb connection i will be able to.

1.Download from kazaa and play cs online ( what will my ping be?, and what will i download at?)

2. what will my ping be if i lan 3 pc&#39;s and join an online cs server?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by huuramis@1 October 2003 - 13:18
    ahhh ok, so it doesnt really matter wich modem it is, just the connection speed.

so do you know if with a 512kb/128kb connection i will be able to.

1.Download from kazaa and play cs online ( what will my ping be?, and what will i download at?)

2. what will my ping be if i lan 3 pc&#39;s and join an online cs server?
    in theory, with a 512/128 connection, you should be able to simultaneously download on kazaa about 20kB/sec and play in a 6 person game with a sub-100 ping

if you lan three pc&#39;s and share a 512/128 connection, the respective pings of the 3 pc&#39;s will be high
    each of the three will effectively have less than a 56k line for upstream (although the adsl is digital as opposed to 56k&#39;s analogue technology)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Max upstream on a 56k modem is only 33k anyway. And you only get a reduction in ping speed if more than one pc happens to be transmitting at the same time, so it isn&#39;t as bad as it first appears. You would probably get an average of about 64k upstream for each pc.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by lynx@1 October 2003 - 13:48
    Max upstream on a 56k modem is only 33k anyway.
    unless you get a V.92 modem and the ISP supports it...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    I don&#39;t think many ISP&#39;s took it up, too much investment considering they were switching over to broadband and suddenly had all this spare modem capacity anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast