Thread: Cyclic redundancy check errors

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm getting these constantly on my Windows 2003 server .
    It's sort of weird because it's occurring on downloaded utorrent files and it seems almost random in that some old files suddenly show corrupt and some new downloads half way through show error but when rechecked they (sometimes) then run straight through fine.
    I've run chkdsk a couple times which had some minor positive impact ,defragged and run registry repair software but that's about all I know to do.
    Now since I don't have physical contact and so can't run Spinrite is there anything else that I can try or is the drive basically toast and do I need to contact the providing company and have them repair/replace /reformat it ?
    Respect my lack of authority.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    I'm presuming you have done a CHKDSK /R
    Not just a CHKDSK, Usually It means that theres an error/bad sector on the disk/hdd ,crc errors are an early warning its time for a new drive,as I'm sure you know that crc checks the files against a hash and if they don't match you get a crc error
    So if you have the option to request a new hdd get that done asap, Or if not get them to do a spinrite check on the drive there end.
    Better to be safe than sorry
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    db_la_23's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    its safe to back up ur data. in case ur hdd crashes

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I've actually had bad RAM throw out CRC errors too believe it or not. I'd check out some software to check that as well.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Believe me ... I had that phenomenon before ... back-up your files cause it won't take long before your HDD will be completely broken.

I remember that exact cyclic redundancy-shit (pardon my french) from the time when I used floppy's ... it was an omen every time ... data on the floppy was corrupt.

It's the same with HDD's ... just back up everything and replace/rma it.
    Can you feel the LOVE

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    To learn more for yourzelf, Download your hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility and run that from a boot floppy or rom to test the hard drives integrity. If the drive shows up as good thru the smart drive check, then you might want to run HDD Regenerator to fix any bad sectors that may be lurking in there.

You can also run memtest86 from a boot floppy or boot cd-iso to check your ram (often removing and reseating will fix errors here but not if the ram is going bad). If the Ram shows good after a good nights run of memtest and your drives are ok as well there maybe no alternative for you but to save an image of the drive and format and reinstall to see if it goes away.