Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend Has A Possible Virus

Only in a Processor.
    Ok, my friend has a problem opening his cd rom (d:&#092 drive. He says that it was a file downloaded off of kazaa, and it has infected his computer so that it doesn't read it, and its not even able to open. Any responses will be helpfull. Also, we have done a virus check with this. But it didn't pick up anything.

edit: also it opens when the computer is just starting up, so it's not the power cable
    Only in a computer will I find happiness.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    it doesn't really sound like a normal virus, it might just be some program that your friend has installed that is somehow incompatible and for some reason locks the cd drive.
    Does the CD-ROM drive light come on at all?
    To check that its definitely software related, has your friend tried opening the cd drive immediately after the computer is restarted, cos if it doesnt open then, then its more likely a hardware problem which means you should check all the cabling is in properly and if it still doesn't work it may mean replacing the drive. If it does open then quickly (ie before windows starts to load) hold down F8 i think it is and an option to change the boot method is provided, select the option to boot into safe mode and when windows has loaded try again to open and close the cd drive. If it doesn't open in safe mode post again (maybe in softwareworld) and i reckon the next step would be stopping some programs loading at start up, I'm sure someone else will help you

Edit: doh just saw your edit! maybe still try safe mode, but you'll probably have to try turning off stuff that loads at start up

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    doesn't sound like a virus to me. sounds more like he's accidentally uninstalled his CD-Rom in Windows, and it needs to be re-detected. try Control Panel -> Add Hardware.

or plug the CD-Rom into a different IDE connector on the motherboard.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Only in a Processor.
    thank you ilw and 3RA1N1AC, i'm goin to go fix it after school, i'm at school right now...

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    ´Try this if it doesnt work...

restart computer -> press delete alot to get into the bios
    next up restore the optimized defaults, save and exit.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    can a virus modify system time, as my system time has been changing a lot lately, yet nod32 and anti trojan scans have both come up clean...

sorry for hijacking your topic, [P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    system time is stored in the motherboard&#39;s BIOS, which maintains its settings with a lithium battery. you might wanna make sure your BIOS is properly set and the battery still has power & is seated correctly in its connector.

otherwise, i have no idea why your system time would change on its own.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i&#39;ve not moved the computer lately, the board is only about 7 months old, but i&#39;ll have a look anyway
    thanks for the info

hijack over
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Only in a Processor.
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@1 October 2003 - 20:23
    can a virus modify system time, as my system time has been changing a lot lately, yet nod32 and anti trojan scans have both come up clean...

sorry for hijacking your topic, [P][RO][CE][SS][OR]
    no problem.

also i&#39;ve tried the changing IDE cables, doesn&#39;t work. Also, the adding new hardware didn&#39;t work. My friend also said that he tried doing the a system restore, and it said that it couldn&#39;t do it because of the worm. I&#39;ll try the bios also, I also thought it was the bios, but I couldn&#39;t get in becasue i thought i had to press f1 to get into them.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Only in a Processor.
    ok, i can&#39;t get into the bios, my friend is running windows xp home edition build 2600. i got into safe mode just fine. So the problem has just gotten worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast