Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Sharing Decrease

Music Sharing Decrease

Lawsuits Damp Down P2P Audience

LOS ANGELES -- Lawsuits launched against individuals for illegal file-sharing appear to have tempered activity on the more popular peer-to-peer networks, new U.S. research released this week shows.

Nielsen//NetRatings, which tracks Internet usage, said on Tuesday it found a 41 percent drop over the last three months in the audience for Kazaa, the leading music file-sharing service.
    September 8, the Recording Industry Association of America, a group representing big labels like AOL Time Warner's Warner Music and Vivendi Universal's Universal Music Group, sued 261 people for illegal file-sharing.

"The RIAA is clearly sending a strong message to American Web users and the message appears to be working," said Greg Bloom, an analyst with Nielsen//NetRatings.

"With hundreds of individuals facing real lawsuits, the threat to music file-sharers is very serious," he said.

Since the week ending June 29, traffic to Kazaa has fallen 41 percent to about 3.9 million unique visitors from 6.5 million in the week ending September 21.

Traffic to Morpheus fell to 261,000 unique visitors in the week ending September 21 from 272,000 in the week ending June 29.

Meanwhile, the RIAA this week reached settlements with 64 people, including 12 with people not yet sued.

On Monday, several peer-to-peer networks unveiled a code of conduct to encourage responsible behavior among the millions of users and asked Congress to figure out a way record labels and other copyright holders can be reimbursed for the material traded online.

Meanwhile, other data released on Tuesday showed that as of August a vast majority of teens believed downloading music for free was morally acceptable.

The August 2003 Gallup Poll Tuesday Briefing Youth Survey, a premium service offered by the Gallup organization, found 83 percent of 517 teens, aged 13 to 17, found downloading free music was morally acceptable.

Gallup officials noted the RIAA's lawsuits in September may have raised awareness of the issue.

"We have to be a little cautious in interpreting this, but it does show that off the top of their heads in August, the vast majority of teenagers said, 'Sure, why not? It's perfectly moral to download,"' said Frank Newport, editor-in-chief of the Gallup Poll Tuesday Briefing.

"We do poll teenagers regularly and I think we'll use exactly the same question again soon and see if things have changed," he said.

SOURCE

I don't believe any word from this shit ,so don't stop to download and share your files ,because this is only a strategy.Last night with Kazaa Lite 4.354.678 users so,where is the truth?

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    oy vey. the RIAA is loosing the battle with the court. CONGRESS THEMSELVES ARE WORRIED ON WHAT KIND OF POWER THE RIAA HAS.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by sharedholder@1 October 2003 - 19:28
    Music Sharing Decrease

Lawsuits Damp Down P2P Audience

LOS ANGELES -- Lawsuits launched against individuals for illegal file-sharing appear to have tempered activity on the more popular peer-to-peer networks, new U.S. research released this week shows.

Nielsen//NetRatings, which tracks Internet usage, said on Tuesday it found a 41 percent drop over the last three months in the audience for Kazaa, the leading music file-sharing service.
    September 8, the Recording Industry Association of America, a group representing big labels like AOL Time Warner's Warner Music and Vivendi Universal's Universal Music Group, sued 261 people for illegal file-sharing.

"The RIAA is clearly sending a strong message to American Web users and the message appears to be working," said Greg Bloom, an analyst with Nielsen//NetRatings.

"With hundreds of individuals facing real lawsuits, the threat to music file-sharers is very serious," he said.

Since the week ending June 29, traffic to Kazaa has fallen 41 percent to about 3.9 million unique visitors from 6.5 million in the week ending September 21.

Traffic to Morpheus fell to 261,000 unique visitors in the week ending September 21 from 272,000 in the week ending June 29.

Meanwhile, the RIAA this week reached settlements with 64 people, including 12 with people not yet sued.

On Monday, several peer-to-peer networks unveiled a code of conduct to encourage responsible behavior among the millions of users and asked Congress to figure out a way record labels and other copyright holders can be reimbursed for the material traded online.

Meanwhile, other data released on Tuesday showed that as of August a vast majority of teens believed downloading music for free was morally acceptable.

The August 2003 Gallup Poll Tuesday Briefing Youth Survey, a premium service offered by the Gallup organization, found 83 percent of 517 teens, aged 13 to 17, found downloading free music was morally acceptable.

Gallup officials noted the RIAA's lawsuits in September may have raised awareness of the issue.

"We have to be a little cautious in interpreting this, but it does show that off the top of their heads in August, the vast majority of teenagers said, 'Sure, why not? It's perfectly moral to download,"' said Frank Newport, editor-in-chief of the Gallup Poll Tuesday Briefing.

"We do poll teenagers regularly and I think we'll use exactly the same question again soon and see if things have changed," he said.

SOURCE

I don't believe any word from this shit ,so don't stop to download and share your files ,because this is only a strategy.Last night with Kazaa Lite 4.354.678 users so,where is the truth?
    blah blah blah whatever

I dont like to listen to american music anyway, they are all crap

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Originally posted by sharedholder@1 October 2003 - 19:28
    Actually you just confirmed it. According to the article the average 3 months ago was 6.5 million.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    internet.news
    Music Sharing Never Decrease - Sharing oyur thoughts openly is important and files!!! ALSO OFFLINE!!! That is what I will tell the guys if they take me to court!

And I will still share!! Yes... I share 1015 Files :) ...

thanks.

just my thoughts although I understand this copyright issues, but people
    still buy cds, don't they? if you buy a cd you also support the artist so he can good music...

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Forum Star
    I have never seen more than 5 million users online. An average of 6.5 million is total bullshit.

The average used to be around 4.3 million, now it is about 4 million. That is less than a 10% drop. And still more as napster on it's peek.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    What they dont write here is that they dont mean 6.5 millions users on kazaa, but 6 millions page hits for the kazaa homepage. Now they have a 41% drop in page visits. So Paul your page hits should have increased at about 41%.

Heres the article where they write that, but its in German. http://www.tecchannel.de/news/20031001/the...1001-12014.html

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Just because they're on Kazaa doesn't mean they're sharing music anymore.

Maybe they're sharing other stuff instead... but probably they just turned sharing off and think they're 'being tough' towards RIAA for still being on Kazaa/KL++ at all!

Leeches do RIAA's work for them!
    It makes the probability that the few remaining sources you get when searching for music MP3s are FAKES whenever those sharing music MP3s decreases.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    A MTV newsperson just said that the sales for cd's are up again. "People are starting to buy music again" is what he said. It's good the RIAA scared some peeps so they would buy music so the attention would die down about P2P sharing until they don't care anymore.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by Benno@1 October 2003 - 22:50
    What they dont write here is that they dont mean 6.5 millions users on kazaa, but 6 millions page hits for the kazaa homepage. Now they have a 41% drop in page visits. So Paul your page hits should have increased at about 41%.

Heres the article where they write that, but its in German. http://www.tecchannel.de/news/20031001/the...1001-12014.html
    Ah, that would make more sense. Tho I'm taking your word on the German stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast