Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PeerBlock Program

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19

Surprised/Amazed

Found this article today: http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/200...-agencies.html

Decided to install the program. I though, I only use private tracker- it probably won't do any good, but I'll play with it and see what it does.

To my surprise, it found a lot of ip's from corporate sites and some that were specifically labeled "Anti-p2p". These have piled up all day.

The program currently has a database of 757,858,616 ip's. That's not a typo!

I am happy that I installed the program, but wish I had much, much earlier...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    "Anti-P2P" might also be seedboxes, you don't know who rented the server, I guess they ban such ranges generally.

I'd be interested in which corporations appear in the logs, maybe we can find an answer to this happening.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Nice post as I have just been using peerguardian 2 with Vista. This looks like it may be more complete.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    brento's Avatar Poster
    I always questioned how good PG2 really was. I never knew exactly whether it was actually helping keep me safe, or if it was just making me feel safe. It also seemed to slow down my torrents.
    Last edited by brento; 08-08-2009 at 12:06 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Pretty much useless IMHO. It's supposed to block IP addresses from the RIAA, MPAA, and others like that.

But just think about it for a second. Even if it managed to block all IP addresses from every RIAA building and facility in the world (which seems rather far fetched), what prevents the RIAA investigator from going home and getting on his residential high speed internet account and monitoring IP's sharing copyrighted material? That's right, absolutely nothing.

Then you must consider the unintended opposite effect. While trying to block these large blocks of "bad" IP addresses, how many good or benign IP addresses are getting blocked by mistake?

It's sort of like snake oil. It might make you feel better, but it really doesn't do much good..
    Last edited by EyeCandy; 08-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCandy View Post
    Pretty much useless IMHO. It's supposed to block IP addresses from the RIAA, MPAA, and others like that.

But just think about it for a second. Even if it managed to block all IP addresses from every RIAA building and facility in the world (which seems rather far fetched), what prevents the RIAA investigator from going home and getting on his residential high speed internet account and monitoring IP's sharing copyrighted material? That's right, absolutely nothing.

Then you must consider the unintended opposite effect. While trying to block these large blocks of "bad" IP addresses, how many good or benign IP addresses are getting blocked by mistake?

It's sort of like snake oil. It might make you feel better, but it really doesn't do much good..
    +1

The best thing you can do is to use smaller, more community oriented sites, where you (think you ) know all (or most) members.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    exactly, thats why i use just the pirate bay

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

+1

The best thing you can do is to use smaller, more community oriented sites, where you (think you ) know all (or most) members.
    I hold the belief that these anti-piracy organizations aren't total idiots and have research teams in place to search and simply register accounts on every tracker they can find in google searches. Even a tracker of less than 1,000 users, 1 of them may be of those organizations.

I don't know how effective this might be but I doubt that residential IPs would be used to catch other users in the act of piracy. It'd be more efficient to say to a court you used your organizations equipment and internet and followed a standardized procedure rather than saying "oh I was just browsing the internets and on this here log are some people who were downloading this file... oh that IP is mine, but don't worry, I wasn't downloading it."

Of course I could just be wrong. :s
    Last edited by NA_Magus; 08-08-2009 at 02:29 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

Edit: My posts are way too long.

+1

I think paying for a non-logging VPN service is a better option than hunting "small,more community oriented" sites like FSC,FTN,FTWR,UK-T for months. +I don't think the security is that high really, I think it's more a question of scoring for the Anti-piracy organisations - they have tons of chances to catch people on big trackers like TL,IPT or SCT.

I think they could easily(if they aren't already) get into those sites mentioned above($*/"legal" threats talks) but it's a question of effiency. As far as I know, Anti-Piracy organisations/bureuas(spelling?) can't act outside they're own country so instead of having 10 peers on a movie on lets say UK-T and risking that those 10 peers are all from Pakistan, they'd rather have 40 peers on TL - they have moore to choose from(assume that we're talking about an american organisation here).

So yeah, those small ones may be a bit more secure but if anti-piracy organisations want to get in - I'm pretty sure they can.
    *Yes, I know that some of those sites don't give any invites at all to users, only mods&admin etc get them but if you got tons of others that you've payed for to get into - you can prob. trade to get into the rest.

TBH, I don't think piracy organisations bother so much with private trackers, infiltrating the scene is more effecient and scares the public more(at least the 50-year-old dad that downloads 3 movies/week). They'll prob. always try to take the easiest way, and once those are closed they're gonna go down hard on private trackers.
    Last edited by charliebitme; 08-08-2009 at 02:39 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Some of the latest blocks came up from Apple Computers and AMC Theaters. I know that there are still holes in the security of all BT systems, but an added level of protection (I believe) is better than not having it.

I have not had problems with my speeds.

The bottom line for me- I don't want to be the slowest water buffalo when the lions come.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast