Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are Members Worth? (WAMW)

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    It seems that one of the center points of this site is the WATW thread. It has been the focus of new members since its creation. I would like to offer up an alternative view. I will call it, "What Are Members Worth?" So many people have gotten fixated on the hierarchy of the trackers that they may have overlooked one major component of the community- the member.

Some people may laugh at this, others may take it to heart. That is entirely up to the individual. Some people need instant gratification while others make self-improvement a life-long goal.

Please think of this as a work in progress. I have based it loosely on Maslow's "Hierarchy of Needs" as I saw fit through my own personal growth and experiences. I hope that this becomes a starting point upon which we can give both new and old members a model to evaluate what they (the individual) brings to a tracker.

If you see areas that should be changed, or if you believe there are different criteria that should be thought of, please feel free to make suggestions. This document is meant to be malleable.

Level 1- The NOOB.
    We all start out here in one form or another. Chances are, we don't know anyone, we don't know the rules, and we are eager to see how many invites we can receive. We will beg, borrow, trade, or steal to get them.

Level 2-Someone who has read the rules of the site. Yeah, until you sit down and read the rules, you are eternally a NOOB. Go read them!

Level 3- Someone who UNDERSTANDS the rules of the site. You are probably thinking, "Hey, that's the same as Level 2!" If so, go back and read the rules again. You know, just in case you missed something. We'll wait...no really, go...

Level 4- Someone who ASKS questions. If you do not know something, ASK. It is as simple as that. The alternative is to do something that could get you in trouble, could be acceptable- yet frowned upon. For example TRADING. Ask around. Some people do it, but a lot of people around here have a great disdain for people who do it. Once you have broken the rules of conduct- different than the site rules, you may find yourself socially isolated from many of the people who could help you.

Bottom line- Read some of the posts, get to know what is acceptable, and ASK if you are unsure.

Level 5-Someone who can ANSWER questions. Also, someone who is trustworthy. This is a stage where someone has been around this community for a while. They know the rules. They know what is acceptable. And they know how to act in a way that has earned TRUST from other members. This one is important. At this stage, the member is finally providing important functions for the site. People turn to them for answers and they know him/her well enough to expect that they will act appropriately. Members get a lot of invites at this level. And why shouldn't they? They have earned that kind of trust and respect!

Level 6-People who know "stuff". These are the people you can have fun and engaging conversations with. They are your buddies. They are active in forums that do not have anything to do with invites. These guys could really care less. Chances are, they have tried most of the sites and have focused on a few that "suits them". They discuss sports, games, pron, beer, women (respectfully, of course) and anything else. These people get stand out because they have done and know "stuff".

Level 7-People who are either well educated or well-rounded. Real-life experiences! Sometimes people get tired of talking about sports, games,etc. Eventually, people want to have "serious" discussions. For this, you can either educate yourself (read tons and tons of books, wikipedia does not count) or go to school. At this level, bullshitters get spotted and chewed up. Know your stuff and you will be very welcome in these circles. Get in over you head, and you will now it REAL QUICK! This is as close to an academic "street fight" as you will ever come. Come prepared!

Level 8-People who strengthen the community. There are some people who can do everything below this and still have time and energy to make sure the community is a thriving entity. These people have earned a lot of respect and they deserve it. They might be moderators, they might just be setting good examples for other members to follow. They create thought-provoking discussions and bring people together.

Level 9-People with special skills used for community good. These are the coders, the graphic designers, the security experts- people who make the sites and communities possible for the rest of us. Most of these people have donated their time and skills. They are most likely professionals who believe in the community. They are rare gems and we most likely don't even know who they are.

Level 10a-The site owners. Someone came up with the idea for the site and made it grow. They did not do this alone, but it would not have happened without them. They are the "Ring Master".

Level 10b- Hot chicks who do exclusive webcam shows for the site members. This is the only "free pass" straight to the top. Just like IRL, if you are a hot chick who is willing to get naked, you probably don't need to offer anything else to the site. Anyone who says a negative word about you will be banned before they finish pressing [ENTER]. Generally, you are loved by everyone anyway.

Now it is up to you, FST. What needs to be changed, added, or removed. Or we can scrap this whole thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    love it dude !

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    pretend's Avatar Is this it? BT Rep: +1
    I'm 10b

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    you are one of the hot chicks ?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Yoann64's Avatar El Niņo Fan
    funny !
    Maybe as level 10 (with 10a and 10b) you can add :
    - Level 1a "The Noob" who wants to learn.
    - Level 1b "The Noob" who doesn't care
    Bienvenida Mamacita - I'm in ruta Babylon - Bienvenida La Juana - Tequila, sexo, marihuana. (M.Chao)

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    It's a good read but you have a tendency for intellectual elitism.
    You can have just as meaningful a discussion about the relative merits of American vs National league as you can about " nature vs nurture" or if Dostoevsky really intended Raskolnikov to be a sympathetic character or not?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I'll trade u my level 13 FST account for demonoid. Any takers?
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    As usual, good point, IdolEyes. I am not much of a sports fan and I have spent an above average amount of time in school.

I (with my bias) still believe that academia has a more serious level to it than sports and games. Being able to debate American vs National league may make you interesting in a bar, but an education will better prepare you for life (assuming serious study).

I also included Real-life experiences with the academic. People can learn much from books, but raising children, going to war, making life-changing decisions, and/or burying your spouse/parents will give you wisdom. Ultimately, people may need advice from someone who has experienced these things while they are probably only interested in sports trivia.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    It's a good read but you have a tendency for intellectual elitism.
    You can have just as meaningful a discussion about the relative merits of American vs National league as you can about " nature vs nurture" or if Dostoevsky really intended Raskolnikov to be a sympathetic character or not?
    I'm sorry, but that post went straight over the top of my head.

As for the opening post, it was interesting for me as I had brief glimpses of myself as I went through each level, from 1) (NOOB) through to 10a) (Site Owner). Fortunately, I haven't progressed to 10b) as I have no wish to put my body through a gender change operation (the cost is prohibitive, apparently).

A well written OP.

Cheers.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    1. Although it is obvious why you stretched it to 10, this would have been more meaningful in 5 or less tiers (which would have been tied more closely with Maslow).
    2. After trying to have meaningful discussions on several forums, I've found that most other members are either offensively ignorant or pseudo-intellectuals.
    3. Viewing the relative worth of members on a torrent site based upon what they contribute to your myopic view of how a forum based community should be.
    4. Based solely upon the verbiage in this post, it is clear you think you're at a Level 7. LOL @ an academic street fight taking place on a torrent forum.
    5. Psychology and/or marketing classes are for idiots and/or douchenozzles. In order to reach the stage of self-actualization, Maslow needs to lick my taint.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast