Thread: Surge Suppressor Receptacles

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Has anybody got any experience with these?
    I wasn't looking for them but happened to notice one when at Lowes last week. It only cost $30 so I wasn't sure about the quality, though it's from a respectable brand (Pass & Seymour/Legrand).

These are the specs that I found on their website. The joules rating is really low but I'm not sure if that actualyl matters or if it's just a marketing gimmick.
    Screenshot:
    SurgeOutlet.png
    Original PDF:
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/RossG/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]http://www.passandseymour.com/spec_sheets/pdf/SF1303R1.pdf

Are these things worth getting or just buy some surge power bars?
    I'd also like to go with whole house protection but I can't find anywhere that sells it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    GamesoulMaster's Avatar n00b
    Do not get that. The best summary after reading that sheet is "you could probably find something worse if you tried".

The energy rating (in Joules) is not a gimmick. It determines how much the surge suppressor/protector can handle before giving out. 210 Joules is quite low and (in my opinion) not worth spending money on if you're already serious enough to *get* protection in the first place. For a few dollars more, you can get ones that have an energy rating over 1000 Joules.

That clamping voltage of 500V is also quite undesireable (as you might guess, it's the voltage where the MOV actually kicks in). If you're looking for even just *decent*, go for 400V or less. 330V is fairly common, and very much worth the few extra dollars.

I'd go on, but you get the idea. You should really do searches online for the best devices. Or if you want a really general rule of thumb for in-store shopping, look for surge protectors (power strips) that provide at least a $50,000 protection warranty. I've found in my experience that the vast majority of those are good for basic protection (as might be expected from the warranty itself, though I didn't use that in my judgment). Also make sure it comes with indicator lights to let you know if it's working properly or not (since after a lot of time or surges pass, it'll eventually fail to protect your equipment anymore). For $40-$60, you can find a surge protector with 6+ outlets, 330V clamping voltage, 1000+ Joules energy rating, proper indicator lights, and other good specs suitable for the price.

I only say that because, if you look into surge protectors over $100, you can get devices with even *more* great features, like filtering "dirty" power out to reduce stress/interference on your electronics devices such as TVs, stereos, etc. But it all comes down to just how much protection you feel you need, which is many times relative to what you own, and what you can afford.

Just... don't get that horrible outlet you're looking at. Take that money, go to your local general retail store, and buy a decent surge protector...
    Last edited by GamesoulMaster; 08-22-2009 at 04:50 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Thanks.

I didn't buy it. I just liked the idea of it because it wasn't bulky like those 6-outlet surge protectors. I have one of these for my tv:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16812107193

330v clamping and 3550 joules so I guess it's a decent one.

I'm still looking for something small to use by my computer but I don't think I'll find anything good.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    GamesoulMaster's Avatar n00b
    That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Just a few dollars more, but well worth the money.

Finding something small that's also effective can be difficult these days, with the trend being towards the power strips much like the one you bought. I wouldn't say to give up (since it's always good to keep an eye out), but as you basically said, you probably won't find a good one (easily).

Forgot to address the whole house protection... generally that is quite costly and is done by a licensed electrician. So your best bet would be to start there (if you're interested). Just keep in mind that the cost will *easily* be in the hundreds (for a basic job), but can be well-worth it if you intend to stay at that home for a long time and are high risk for surges/spikes (or you just have a lot of expensive electronics to protect).

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by GamesoulMaster View Post
    That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Just a few dollars more, but well worth the money.

Finding something small that's also effective can be difficult these days, with the trend being towards the power strips much like the one you bought. I wouldn't say to give up (since it's always good to keep an eye out), but as you basically said, you probably won't find a good one (easily).

Forgot to address the whole house protection... generally that is quite costly and is done by a licensed electrician. So your best bet would be to start there (if you're interested). Just keep in mind that the cost will *easily* be in the hundreds (for a basic job), but can be well-worth it if you intend to stay at that home for a long time and are high risk for surges/spikes (or you just have a lot of expensive electronics to protect).
    I can do the install myself, I'm almost a licensed electrician (5th term apprentice). I just don't know where to buy the thing.