Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok so I'm having issues

Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well it's been a while guys but I'm having issues here. About a month ago my 1 year old daughter discovered the power button on my rig. Since then it's a constant battle with her. I've tried covering it but it would seem she is waay too smart for that.

On to my issues. I have had multiple restarts and BSOD's. At first I thought it was my OS, Win7 x64 so I tried a reinstall but it did nothing. I even tried a XP install figuring a basic os would at least show some stability but nothing now I have vista 64 again as I haven't had time to install a new Win 7. Needless to say the OS isn't the problem.

What happens is after she forcefully shuts it down I restart and the rig loops on the bios startup screen over and over seemingly forever and my OC settings are set back to stock. At first I thought it to be the Ram but I ran Memtest for about 16 hours and it showed no errors at all. Now I believe it to be the Mobo but who the hell knows. The BSOD errors are different and I know I should write them down but I'm usually too pissed to think of it at the time. Is there someway I can access a log of BSOD's? I have seen people do this before but I haven't a clue how. One I can recall is "system service exception" but the details escape me.

Another problem I am having is my computer hangs sometimes and even has typing lag randomly. Winrar has lag as well while unraring files but only sometimes. These things happen very randomly sometimes it hangs sometimes it doesn't

Another thing I think may be a possibility is that my PSU is going or can't handle all the stuff it powers. I have a water loop and 4 120mm fans as well as 2 92mm fans along with my other peripherals, I don't think this is the problem but it is possible. If anyone has any idea please help. Here are my HW specs

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 OC'd to 3.2

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260

G.SKILL 4GB x2 total of 8GB

SAMSUNG DVD Burner x 2

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX but I don't think it's this new revision (2.2) as its prob 2-3 years old now.

The CPU, North bridge and Vid card are under water so temps aren't the problem but honestly I'm stumped here guys.

BTW I hope all of you are doing well as I haven't been around much. Still working like a beast 80+ hours a week. The money is great but I missed out on my summer with the kids like

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hey D.

Create a memory dump.
    Might give you some data to work with.

No idea what to do about your daughter.
    I'd recommend death but you seem kind of attached to her, so I suppose that's not an option.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    That's pretty cruel.

I don't think your PSU is the issue, it should be just fine and its from a good company.

I would try logging your BSOD's and googling them on a laptop or something, that might be a good way to start.
    Last edited by Rart; 08-25-2009 at 01:28 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Hit it with prime95 for a couple of hours and see what happens?

If that does nothing, move on to furmark or similar. Try flipping around between benchmarks that are harder on different bits of hardware. Might help narrowing things down.

Also, if the psu is going wobbly, it might be noticeable on your voltages, especially if you put a bit of pressure on your stuff. Dunno.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm not sure about your blue screens but I know you can change what the power button does in the control panel under power options. This should stop her turning it off. Then again if she is really smart she may just turn it back to how it was.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    disconnect the power button. Put some sort of small push button on the back that she won't see.
    Or see if your bios has an option for power on with a certain keyboard combo. One of my older mobos had that option.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks so much guys. I knew I could count on you guys for support. I do recall a bios option for the power button somewhere, I'm going to check that out asap. I have been trying to read around for answers here and it seems that this, as well as many other, boards have odd issues when 4 sticks of ram are installed. Some of the symptoms are similar to mine. Apparently there isnt much to be done as of yet about it either. Meh I think I'm going to get a new board anyway. Looking at the ASUS P5Q Deluxe, ASUS P5Q-EM or maybe the ASUS P5Q Turbo I still have to check some features out a bit, but at a glance they seem to have what I'm looking for. You guys have any suggestions on a good Mobo at all?
    Last edited by Detale; 08-25-2009 at 11:46 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I have been trying to read around for answers here and it seems that this, as well as many other, boards have odd issues when 4 sticks of ram are installed.
    Oh pish.
    I'm running 4 x 2GB in that very same board with nary a hiccough.

If you think that's what's going on, pull two sticks and see if the problem goes away.

Bet it doesn't.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Meh was just coming back here to say that exact thing didn't help much Ahhh I can usually diagnose issues like these fairly easily. This one has no rhyme or reason to it though. I'm going to try one more install of Win 7 X64 and format my drive again. I'm even going to use another newer drive just in case and see what happens then. This shit is killing me damnit!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    What build of W7 are you using?
    No particular reason to know, just morbidly curious.

About the power button...just disconnect the damn thing and let Little Miss Sunshine push it to her heart's content.
    You could hang a temp button out the back where she's less likely to find it and use the Sleep function from a taskbar shortcut to kill the PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast