Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a seedbox but I need some help understanding some things...

By stream what do you mean?

Do you mean stream so that they can listen to it online...
    Do you mean stream as in a radio station...
    Do you mean stream as in they download it to their own HDD...
    Please clarify

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by burtybob View Post
    Do you mean stream as in they download it to their own HDD
    It's not streaming if they download the data...
    (Well, techically they are downloading the data when streaming it, but you get my point)

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Don't know if you've solved your problem yet but, you must know all about FTP and how you need to use it if you are willing to try and lock yourself into using FTP to stream your media..

You can implement a Stream transfer mode in FTP, but afaik, the FTP protocol isn't setup to stream media files in any multi user playable instance. It's fairly basic, running on port 21 over TCP and seems like it will end up crashing your connection or degrading it to the point of non-use with too many simultaneous unbuffered connections..

Aside from that you'd still need an multi-port client interface for the FTP stream to broadcast the stream to your users..That software would have to have a some sort of user/pass protocol to be able to login to your FTP server along with a way to find the files and play them..

In terms of using a low-cost SB, you'll probably need root or admin access to your server to make any changes to your FTP conf files, minimum. You're not likely to get root on a $15 a month seedbox but you can get close if you go up to $30+ a month..Still it sounds like you'll need ALL the resources of the server, so sharing a box with multiple IP's and uTorrent pulling ram and cpu doesn't sound too efficient either..

That's why there's streaming server software (Shoutcast, FMS, Red5, Wowza etc..) which uses buffer technology among other things that is designed to optimize simultaneous through a single or range of ports including UDP..

Like others mentioned, you can get yourself setup on a EU based kimi and turn it into whatever you'd like since you'd have root SSH access..

If you're based in the US, and need to stream from there, the cheapest server I've found for non-p2p use is Interserver's bomb Atom dual core at $39 a month..I currently have a red5 server installed on one of those that I plan to stream flash video from..

I heard shoutcast is very easy to setup on linux.. You can stream from whatever folder you want and you can allow anonymous FTP if you want people to download your stuff..

Or you can make life easy on yourself and find a streamhost that know how to use the streaming protocols: STREAMHOSTER for $15 a month

Anyway please keep us updated as I'd like to know how you plan on doing this and what it's for..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12