Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are ratio trackers becoming a bittorrent wrecking ball?

Arrow

Hi all. Just wondered what people's opinions are on enforced ratio trackers, vs. the traditional tracker.

My experience with one of them has been more like taking on a second job, than just using a tracker.

I like the general idea of 'encouraging' users to seed, but I don't like my experience thus far.

Like some out there, I'm typically seeding something 24/7, and I give it the full pipe when I can. I have no problem sharing, but the nature of ratio enforcement has made it very hard for me to get anywhere.

Those who have spent time on ratio enforced trackers no doubt are aware of the downsides, but they may still disagree that it is a hassle, depending on how they use it.

So, I'm curious what percentage of torrent fans favor ratio trackers, vs. traditional. I'd post a poll if it was available.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    I think you should rephrase your question

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Sorry what's a enforced ratio tracker? Could you give an example of one?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    I think you should rephrase your question
    I don't understand. Either people like them or they don't, and some are bound to be better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Sorry what's a enforced ratio tracker? Could you give an example of one?
    Sure, Ten Yard Torrents is one. Ratio enforced means that they require a minimum upload percentage in order to be a member and to be allowed download privledges. If you fall below the ratio, you can be suspended or banned.

I have heard that there are some 'ratio' trackers that don't enforce it. It's just a suggestion and a reminder, but TYT bans for 'bad' ratios.

The problem is, it's a lot easier to get a 'bad' ratio than you might think, even if you're a dedicated seeder like myself.
    Last edited by spaceboy909; 08-26-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    A traditional tracker and a ratio enforcing tracker are one and the same thing so..

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Op, do you mean non ratio trackers being a wrecking ball or whatever to strict ratio trackers?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    If its 1:1 it's fairly easy IMO

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    A traditional tracker and a ratio enforcing tracker are one and the same thing so..
    Mmm, well, maybe the actual code is, but the difference is that with an enforced ratio tracker
    , they actively ban for bad ratios. So, regardless of any code differences, it's the policy that I'm ultimately referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by pone44 View Post
    Op, do you mean non ratio trackers being a wrecking ball or whatever to strict ratio trackers?
    No, I mean enforced ratio trackers (or clubs) kind of drying up the well of non-ratio trackers. Iow, are ratio trackers making it harder to find what you want on the non-ratio trackers?

Quote Originally Posted by va3156 View Post
    If its 1:1 it's fairly easy IMO
    Well, this is where some of the details have made it so much harder for me than on traditional trackers.

I can do 100:1, even 1000:1...no limit really, on non-ratio trackers. Just leave it up there, and people leech.

But with ratio enforcement and the fear of being banned (which I was once), strict throttling and monitoring of your torrents is required, and a slip up and can hose your ratio.

One curious thing you see on ratio trackers are a huge number of torrents with all of the leeches, 10, 20, 30 of them, all trickling along at the same percentage.

This is NOT because the seeders can't serve it, it's because everyone has their download throttled so their ratios don't get hosed!

In an ironic twist, I am forced to download new files that I don't want, tweak the throttling to get it just right, and monitor it frequently, just to balance out the files that I do want, which typically have either all seeds, or leeches who are throttled!

Like I said, it's like a 2nd job to keep my ratio up! hehe.

The problem in my case, is that TYT seems to have a virtual lock down on the NFL torrents. I am unable to find any other good source of them.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    So ThePirateBay = no ratio tracker ?

Yes it's easier to seed on no-ratio trackers (aka public trackers), and that's because there's no ratio rules so many people DON'T seed back and the people with the fat pipes do the brunt of the work. On private trackers that keep track of download and upload you will normally get better speeds because people who use them have faster upload and download, they have more knowledge (port forwarding) and they tend to hit and run less than on public trackers.
    Last edited by TrueSounds; 08-26-2009 at 10:09 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueSounds View Post
    So ThePirateBay = no ratio tracker ?
    Right.

Yes it's easier to seed on no-ratio trackers (aka public trackers), and that's because there's no ratio rules so many people DON'T seed back and the people with the fat pipes do the brunt of the work. On private trackers that keep track of download and upload you will normally get better speeds because people who use them have faster upload and download, they have more knowledge (port forwarding) and they tend to hit and run less than on public trackers.
    Right, there are pros and cons both ways. I can understand why ratio based trackers have popped up.

My case is probably a niche case; 99% of the NFL stuff I can only find on TYT.

Ironically, once the TYT torrent has reached its' 'critical mass', continuing to seed yields almost zero gain. For example, you may have 30-50 seeders, and only one single leech per day pop on, which 50 seeds then try desperately to serve!

So, what I'm going to try doing is nabbing stuff off TYT, squeeze what I can out of it for my ratio, and then seed it to TPB or Mininova or something.
    Last edited by spaceboy909; 08-26-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast