Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Astraweb slow, anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Remember this, if you conected via a "router" and your client gets excessive low speeds, do this, unplug router + modem for abut 5 minutes or less and re-connect them, re-connect via computer and re start client, you should see your full speed back. But also your connections plays into this greatly, you honestly can't have 20 connections and expect to "get full speed".
    Routers and modems could and should run 247 without problems, a computer should also do the same. A power cycle might work as a quick fix but I would consider it temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post
    My astraweb is topping out at about 1300KBps right now, averaging more like 1100KBps. Normally I get 3100KBps+, I don't pay for my usenet to be slower than torrents. Is anyone else here having a problem? I'm using all 10 connections and each is only pulling 110-140KBps, I ran a speedtest and the results came back as 26mbps so my connection is fine.
    Try doing some tinkering.

Have you tried all 3 servers (general, us, eu)?
    Have you tried an ssl connection?
    Is your wireless secure?
    Last edited by ploopsy; 08-29-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by ploopsy View Post
    Routers and modems could and should run 247 without problems, a computer should also do the same. A power cycle might work as a quick fix but I would consider it temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post
    My astraweb is topping out at about 1300KBps right now, averaging more like 1100KBps. Normally I get 3100KBps+, I don't pay for my usenet to be slower than torrents. Is anyone else here having a problem? I'm using all 10 connections and each is only pulling 110-140KBps, I ran a speedtest and the results came back as 26mbps so my connection is fine.
    Try doing some tinkering.

Have you tried all 3 servers (general, us, eu)?
    Have you tried an ssl connection?
    Is your wireless secure?

Well to be honest routers don't and neither do modems, after a solid day or two, or so of smooth download (this is like a once a week thinkg, maybe 2 week thing), my speeds decline almost 75%, and I do the router trick and all good for about 4-5 days, it's not my ISP or Astraweb, the power cycle works every time for me, even if just do it for 10 seconds, some days, I have to leave un plugged for a few mintues, try it, bet it works.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 08-30-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Has anyone else noticed that Level3 is missing from Astraweb's list of transit providers on this page: http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

I ran a traceroute from there and noticed I am now using Global Crossing instead. This might explain some of the problems people are having. But I want to say that I remember reading in a news item from a few months back stated that most of their traffic would go over L3 going forward. However I can't seem to find any mention of this on their site.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    Quote Originally Posted by unoriginal View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that Level3 is missing from Astraweb's list of transit providers on this page: http://www.news.astraweb.com/tools/stats.html

I ran a traceroute from there and noticed I am now using Global Crossing instead. This might explain some of the problems people are having. But I want to say that I remember reading in a news item from a few months back stated that most of their traffic would go over L3 going forward. However I can't seem to find any mention of this on their site.

yea i noticed this too...they said a majority of their service would be moving to Level 3...yet it's not even listed under their providers anymore

heres the article where they talk about the new agreement with level 3

http://helpdesk.astraweb.com/index.p...news&newsid=12
    Last edited by dutchmaster420; 08-30-2009 at 06:42 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    honestly astraweb has always been faster for me, even faster than giganews ;p

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    I didn't really need confirmation as I already knew L3 was gone for Astraweb but here is their reply to my ticket about it:

We no longer use level3. And yes, currently you are routed through Global Crossing, which is one of our best providers.

Thank you and have a great day !

Regards,
    Kylie

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    i get 13-15mb/s (megabytes) from my .us vps and 8mb/s from my australia .edu so im pretty sure its not astraweb's fault ;p

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    I've been in Australia for the past year, and using the US Astraweb server, I max my 12mbps, never had anything else go half that speed. I generally use 8 connections, which is possibly too much, but, "it depends".

A friend of mine I got on Astraweb in Sweden nearly always gets about 12mb/sec on his 100mbps (To an eu server for him, of course).

Never any problems on their side, just when my ISP sometimes remembers to cap my bandwidth for the month. ;-)

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleElroy View Post
    HI mate I also was only getting 1.3mbps on a 20mb line. Max connections was set to 4 so I changed it to 20 and up to 2.3mbps now. I'm using newsbin pro

same as me

astraweb with newsbin pro 5.53

i open 20 connection received download only 170 KBps

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Maxing my connection here. 20mbps

Tried contacting them?
    Last edited by topicaltapioca; 09-10-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast