Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gforce Fx 5200 Overclocking

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    I have a AOpen Gforce FX 5200 with a heatsink but no fan.
    should i oc it? will it damage my comp at all?
    my specs are:
    P4 2.4 ghz
    Intel 865APE 800 FSB
    512 PC3200 DDR
    GForce FX 5200 128mb

i pretty much no how to oc, just want to know if i need extra cooling, or the potential hazard it might cause to my PC.

thanks people.

and if u feel like answering this: i asked before bout ocing my cpu. do u think i need to get new cooling if i oc my P4 2.4 ghz just a little bit, to like 2.6 maybe

and, if i oc it, will it void my warranty? wat if i turn it back to original settings, will that void my warranty? how do the manufacture tell if i oced it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I know overclocking makes all warranties usless. How do you OC a graphics card? BIOS? is there any way to overclock a CPU without going through the bios? cuz my dell wont let me in it.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    yea, but is there anyone here who o/ced before? can anyone answer my questions?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Is it that Inno3D Geforce FX 5200? Cant o/c that version.. heard it will burn very easy.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    wat's inno supposed to be? this is AOpen, not sure if there is a difference. but i think it's oem, if that helps.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Why do you want to overclock it? Does it not perform well enough?

Those cards are great if you want to build silent or almost silent PC because there is no fan.

If you want to overclock it then at least put a fan on it. (You may loose some quietness.)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    well, hence my question. how far can i overclock so that i don't need extra cooling. and does it void the warranty if i revert the settings back to default?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    My thoughts would be to not overclock it until you add extra cooling.

But you can try it. Just start with a small increase and check it with a benchmark like 3Dmark 2003 as you posted in another thread. Just be sure to watch for any distortions in the image and keep a close watch of how hot the card gets. Open the case and feel it with your hand to be sure it doesn't get too hot.

Don't push it too hard without extra cooling. In fact I still think you should add a fan before overclocking.

Edit: If you are really concerned about the warranty then don't overclock.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    ok, that leads to another question. i turn on the pc in the morning, after leaving it off the whole night, and i feel the heatsink and it burns my hand almost. at least 50-60 deg C. wtf? i just turn it on and it burns my hand. and it's not oced or anything. came right out of the box. wtf is happening? is it supposed to be that hot?. acutally, more like 60-70 deg C

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    and do u think i should get better cooling if i plan to oc my cpu from like 2.4 to 2.6. very small compared to some ocers i know. do u think i need extra cooling? prob just rais the cpu clock by like 1-5 mhz. not very much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast