Thread: Why Not Give Teh Artist The Say

what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I was udner the impression why doesn't the Artist get the say if someone was downlaoding their amterial.

for example if I was big had hit in the top ten ect had losts of money I would enjoy the fact that ppl were sharing the music on the net I mean isn't about teh artist not getting the money???

so if you were the artist what would you do if you had the choise sue the downloaders or let them be.

2. Music   -   #2
    major label music is created via a work-for-hire contract, that's why. the recordings are owned by the companies, not the artists.

the "piracy stops artists from getting paid" claim is baloney. artist royalties from record sales are piddly-- the profit from CDs goes primarily to the labels, distributors and retailers. the artists make their money mostly from concerts and merchandising/endorsements.

3. Music   -   #3
    Yep, the artist makes only a few pence (if anything at all), on the basis of how many CDs are sold.

Obviously, however, if the record company makes no money, then they will no longer be able to support artists (particularly less known people), so in that way piracy can hurt the artist as much as anyone else.

4. Music   -   #4
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    thanks for clearing that up

5. Music   -   #5
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    at a recent conference, chcuk d from public enemy said it was class, while ll cool gay said it was shit. i'll post a link if i can find it.