Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Things to consider before purchasing a PSP?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i would like to say i bought a psp today. booted up final fantasy: crisis core first & then tried out god of war. all i can say is WoW. makes my ds look like a baby's toy. never have i played one. the quality of the screen, grafx, & sound were amazing. i did see A LOT of interlacing in god of war. never really noticed any in crisis core. god of war seems like it will be kinda awkward in gameplay on the little machine, but after killing the 2nd boss it was still fun.

i've got 3 psp games so far. castlevania: sotn being the 3rd. i still need to buy a memory stick. frys is asking god awful prices, so i'll prob just order it from amazon.com. i need to get me sum sort of suit case for it too. especially sumthing that's gonna protect the screen. i still need to grab a handful of games as well too. when i'm gonna get around to them? hard telling.

i paid $70 for my new psp 3k machine and so far i'm impressed. the weight of this boy really shocked me. lol, it feels almost lighter than my ds. thought it woulda been like a brick or sumthing. haven't tried much else with it yet. passed out on couch afterward. long weekend and was exhausted after class today.

lastly, it seems like a good purchase especially with what's yet to come out for it. now, should i even consider updating the firmware @ 5.01 to 6.0 or why bother?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Games   -   #12
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    lastly, it seems like a good purchase especially with what's yet to come out for it. now, should i even consider updating the firmware @ 5.01 to 6.0 or why bother?
    Some games now require 5.55 such as AFL Championship, NRL Championship, G.I Joe etc.

Are you sure you don't want CFW?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Games   -   #13
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    I think if you update the ofw you might not be able do the cfw later on, but I could be wrong
    but, seriously you should consider doing cfw because it not like your modding an xbox 360 - no complex taking apart anything - just follow some updated tutorials, I but you need to get a hold of either a pandora battery + magic stick or someone with a cfw psp

4. Games   -   #14
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. Games   -   #15
    seems nice. plays iso, ps1 & psp games.

i still need to grab a damned memory stick. was about to grab this cuz of how cheap it is, but then i learned it may be a fake. jesus. any1 have any info on fake sticks be4 i just buy an expensive one @ frys for $40.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

6. Games   -   #16
    seems nice. plays iso, ps1 & psp games.

i still need to grab a damned memory stick. was about to grab this cuz of how cheap it is, but then i learned it may be a fake. jesus. any1 have any info on fake sticks be4 i just buy an expensive one @ frys for $40.
    CFW allows more than just playing your backups, you have have custom themes, homebrew games (mostly Quake mods) and homebrew apps.

Fake=Non Sony (not a major issue, read up on the el cheapo Chinese brands).

Look at the reviews, mainly ImranS's on Play.com

NOTE: Most (PSP) backups are either ISO's or CSO's, the CFW Demo's are also ISO's. PSX are EBOOT's

Hopefully 5.55 CFW will come out soon or even 6.00.
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 09-17-2009 at 12:14 PM.

7. Games   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    not a major issue? from what i've read if u use a fake stick the stick will stop working (sooner than official), get corrupted, slow transfer rate, and could possibly brick ur psp. sounds pretty major to me.

edit* i'd like to add i have ZERO interest in homebrew.
    Last edited by mr. nails; 09-17-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

8. Games   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    not a major issue? from what i've read if u use a fake stick the stick will stop working (sooner than official), get corrupted, slow transfer rate, and could possibly brick ur psp. sounds pretty major to me.

edit* i'd like to add i have ZERO interest in homebrew.
    As I said in my previous post (check up on the brand). I've had a SanDisk 2GB Pro Duo card and have had no faults with it in over 2 years.

People have said that non Sony Pro Duo cards are fake. Pro Duo is a Pro Duo IMO.

9. Games   -   #19
    beansis's Avatar Pussy Liquor
    dude no way can a memory brick psp
    only way you can brick is if you fuck up flashing or flash the nand off a diffrent psp

btw you should back up the nand prior to flashing

anyways most homebrew is crap, but some is quite useful like CXMB or Bookr

10. Games   -   #20
    so, apparently i need to buy a pandora battery in order to update my cfw. which are the best places to score said battteries in the US? or is there even a "best" place. lol, just being cautious. don't feel like bricking my psp, ya know?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast