Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    How does one know when eggs are past their prime?

yo

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Other than the obvious beak in the skillet.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #3
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Ask her doctor if'in she's had a hysterectomy?

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Too late. Already gobbled them up in a scrambled heap of cheese and venison snausages. Mornsup btw.
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-04-2009 at 07:28 PM.

yo

5. Lounge   -   #5
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    If you got them in the grocery store look at the best before date ,you have about 1-2 weeks after that.

There is also this old adage but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
    " Put an egg in a glass of water. If it sinks, it's still good .If it floats then it's rotten.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    If it stinks to high heaven when you crack it, don't bother
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    How does one know when eggs are past their prime?

They babble incessantly about the "good old days."

-bd

8. Lounge   -   #8
    kallieb's Avatar Spamaholic BT Rep: +4
    you guys.... it's easy Cut/paste from a site (can't take credit) but it does work, trust me. Here you go:

Fill a fairly deep bowl with water and carefully lower the egg into the water.

A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

9. Lounge   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by kallieb View Post
    you guys.... it's easy Cut/paste from a site (can't take credit) but it does work, trust me. Here you go:

A very fresh egg will immediately sink to the bottom and lie flat on its side. This is because the air cell within the egg is very small. The egg should also feel quite heavy.
    The emboldened passage begs a question or two but nevermind.

As the egg starts to lose its freshness and more air enters the egg, it will begin to float and stand upright. The smaller end will lie on the bottom of the bowl, whilst the broader end will point towards the surface. The egg will still be good enough to consume, however, if the egg fully floats in the water and does not touch the bottom of the bowl at all, it should be discarded, as it will most likely be bad.
    So buy a dozen and sink 'em in the 'fridge.

Toss the little bastards as they pop up.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

So much work. I prefer easter eggs, you can eat them even though they're old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast