Thread: Gpedit.msc

Poster
    I just reformatted my computer and did a fresh install of WinXP Home.

I went to tweakxp looking for tweaks and one of em requires for me to access gpedit.msc.

start -> run -> gpedit.msc

I got an error saying that gpedit.msc is not found.

so I did a system search of the file. But i can't find it anywhere...

from what I see on several sites, most OS's post Win2k should have gpedit.msc, the group policy admin tool.

I'm logged in as Admin, actually the only account on my PC right now.

Can anyone tell me where gpedit.msc went? I can't have possibly deleted it because I just did a fresh install of WinXp Home.

I did a search on my WinXP Home disc, which is a genuine copy and had no results.

so where in the world did my gpedit.msc go?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i didnt think XP Home has gpedit did it

mine never has

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    i checked here "xp pro" and it is here maybe the home edition dosnt come with that file....?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well, you have a problem. XP Home does not have the GPEDIT.MSC installed on it. Reason? Home is not designed to connect to a domain. Therfore, no Group Policy EDITor. Sorry, but you'll have to find a different fix.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    wat i cud do is give u a zipped gpedit.msc file and u cud try extracting it in system32 but i dont recommend it. it wud be better to go with xp pro.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    yep gpedit.msc is not meant to run with winxp home.

it's only intended for winxp pro and win2k.

but you can download the gpedit.msi from the microsoft website, but i'm not entirely sure whether it will work out fine if you installed it on winxp home.

maybe if you took a closer look at the system requirements to see whether winxp home is included as well.

but no worries, i just wanted to know why gpedit.msc was missing, i dun really need it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    you could tell us what you're trying to do with Group Policy, and perhaps one of us could offer a suggestion of a different way to go about it.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free