Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reliable NZB downloader for Ubuntu/Celeron

Filthy Ripper
    Hi, I have astraweb.com account, Kimsufi L dedicated server and trying to find NZB downloader to suite my server hardware.

I used to run pytnon-based hellanzb + lottanzb, but hellanzb is no longer developed and its latest version has a few statistics bugs, and it was slow as hell (was that why it was called hell-a-nzb?)

Then I switched to pytnon-based sabnzbd, which is my current nzb processor, but it requires lots of CPU, which my sever doesn't have (since it's Celeron based). Usually, top displays python process totally occupying the CPU and speed is very slow (no more than 40Mbps).

I tried nzb 'native' client, it quite simple... not so friendly UI, cannot connect through ssl (has the SSL option, but reports error)... But the speed really rocks, it occupates almost 100% of my 100Mbps bandwidth. And looks like it doesn't do automatic par2 + unrar...

Can you suggest something else for ubuntu OS?

Cheerz

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    SABnzbd - auto unrar, auto par2, web based (get a frontend gui).

There's too many features to list, try it out
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    You can give Pan newsreader a try. It does not auto unrar or auto par2 but it uses next to nothing as far as CPU/memory. Weird that Sabnzbd is giving you trouble. You sure you are not using the old, no longer developed Sab? The new one is SABnzbd+

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinitup4fun View Post
    You can give Pan newsreader a try. It does not auto unrar or auto par2 but it uses next to nothing as far as CPU/memory. Weird that Sabnzbd is giving you trouble. You sure you are not using the old, no longer developed Sab? The new one is SABnzbd+
    He never tried SABnzbd(++)?

He's tried: pytnon-based hellanzb + lottanzb
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I'd highly suggest SABnzbd+, http://www.sabnzbd.org/

I use the nzbstatus plugin, which for a current one you have to search sourceforge I believe. (IF you have newzbin.)

It changes out the download nzb icon on newzbin with a "Send to SAB" button.

Which sends the newzbin ID to SAB, and SAB does all the work from there, no messy downloading.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Filthy Ripper
    Hi, thanks for response!

Sorry for being unclear... I'm currently using SABnzbd+, latest version. You might know, it's written in python and executed by python. I do like its features and web-GUI and stuff, but it never goes full-speed because of this:

Code:
      PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND            
    28155 admin     20   0  236m  73m 2144 S 70.6  7.4  87:02.68 python             
    27234 admin     20   0 2607m 234m 1576 S 17.6 23.6   1487:20 uTorrent.exe       
    27237 admin     20   0 10712 7752  376 S  7.6  0.8 346:52.87 wineserver
    Python is always eating my CPU. Even if I shutdown utorrent, I don't see any speed improvements... But still, because I like what I see in SABnzb+, I keep using it.

I do use news a lot, and auto-par and auto-unrar is the must for my news client, where I can queue a number of downloads and come back later and clearly see the results and if everything went fine... I cannot manually process every download I want it to be fully automated.

I tried hellanzb and sabnzbd+. Is there anything else I can try?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I'm really unsure of anything else any good with linux since I stuck with it since I'm a python fanatic.

What version of python are you using? I'd suggest trying out 2.5 instead of 2.6.x to see if that helps.

With your signature showing the speed that it does, I'd also check out changing/using the transfer cache and tossing some more cheap ram laying around.

Running linux myself I enjoy a good troubleshooting. ;-)

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Filthy Ripper
    Quote Originally Posted by topicaltapioca View Post
    What version of python are you using? I'd suggest trying out 2.5 instead of 2.6.x to see if that helps.
    Yes, I have python 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by topicaltapioca View Post
    With your signature showing the speed that it does, I'd also check out changing/using the transfer cache and tossing some more cheap ram laying around.
    Well, I cannot do any chanes to the server hardware... (and that's the speed I want to see in my news client)...

Ok, I'll go to sabnzbd forum and ask there

UPD:
    And it was a good idea to go there. The key is here: http://sabnzbd.wikidot.com/highspeed-downloading

I have installed python-yenc, and here I am with 7-8MB/s. Much better

Thanks to all, I'm totally happy now. Still have performance issues, coz CPU is 100% loaded, but I'm satisfied with speeds now
    Last edited by UncleBob; 09-07-2009 at 08:38 AM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rippinitup4fun View Post
    He never tried SABnzbd(++)?

He's tried: pytnon-based hellanzb + lottanzb

Then I switched to pytnon-based sabnzbd, which is my current nzb processor, but it requires lots of CPU, which my sever doesn't have (since it's Celeron based). Usually, top displays python process totally occupying the CPU and speed is very slow (no more than 40Mbps).

You could also try NNTPGRAB. It was pretty efficient when I used it last year. It has everything you want like auto unrar and par2.

http://nntpgrab.nl/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    http://nntpgrab.nl/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Filthy Ripper
    rippinitup4fun

Thanks, I'll give it a try

UPD:
    Yes, it's a great tool too. Seems to work even faster than SAB, but it also eats all of the CPU. I'll try it for some more time.
    Last edited by UncleBob; 10-03-2009 at 07:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast