Thread: Best newsreader for auto unraring?

I've been using Usenet for a while, and while I find it much better than using torrents, one problem I've come across is with the automatic unraring function povided by the two newsreaders I have used. I am currently using Alt.Binz 0.25.0, with Auto Unrar ticked in the settings, but I am finding that most often then not the download will fail to automatical unrar. This happens with both the downloads selected by the RSS function, and also the NZB's I open myself. S

Sometimes the files will Auto Unrar, and the files always manage to unrar if I do it myself, but I was wondering if anyone could reccomend me a solution to this problem.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Use QuickPar and have it monitor auto.

http://www.quickpar.org.uk/

I use Newsleecher myself, when you first start it, you have to go to repair and extract tab and check all the boxes, here's a screenshot, I just grabbed some random NZB's to show.

I've never had any problems with NL unless the files are really really old and/or not enough par2 files to repair, or NL stops downloading some parts for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [center]

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks for the help. Am I suppose to have Quickpar open at all times for it to work, or should it just work straight away? I had a look at NL, but can't seem to find where to set up RSS so my shows download automatically. Is that possible with NL?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Dunno, never do it that way, with RSS.

As for QuickPar, I'm not sure, never really used except to create pars, so try it both ways, just download a 5mb NZB or something and test it, also, make sure you disable or turn off auto fixing/unraring in Alt.binz so it won't interfer.
    [center]

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by the mighty View Post
    I've been using Usenet for a while, and while I find it much better than using torrents, one problem I've come across is with the automatic unraring function povided by the two newsreaders I have used. I am currently using Alt.Binz 0.25.0, with Auto Unrar ticked in the settings, but I am finding that most often then not the download will fail to automatical unrar. This happens with both the downloads selected by the RSS function, and also the NZB's I open myself. S

Sometimes the files will Auto Unrar, and the files always manage to unrar if I do it myself, but I was wondering if anyone could reccomend me a solution to this problem.
    Reinstall? I've used that same version for ages and have no problems with auto unRARing at all. If they're unRARing just fine manually without any fixing required, try a reinstall or grab a different version.

yo

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    get sabnzbd, it will do everything you want and its forum site has hundreads of user scripts that will do just about anything else.
    forum is brill for posting problems on and getting quick solution too.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    pikwun's Avatar n00b
    the mighty

i'm not sure why no one has mentioned it already but Grabit has a great unRar'ing feature that i use on a daily basis. You can even set it up to start uncompressing after "something" happens--you decide what that something is--literally. The best part is that if you have a low performing PC/laptop, it does a great job of downloading what ever is in your queue list & uncompressing at the same time, all while you are doing other stuff, like browsing the internet(s) and such. It idles at 2-9% on my CPU with 18 connections.

Best part is it's free.
    www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by pikwun View Post
    the mighty

i'm not sure why no one has mentioned it already but Grabit has a great unRar'ing feature that i use on a daily basis. You can even set it up to start uncompressing after "something" happens--you decide what that something is--literally. The best part is that if you have a low performing PC/laptop, it does a great job of downloading what ever is in your queue list & uncompressing at the same time, all while you are doing other stuff, like browsing the internet(s) and such. It idles at 2-9% on my CPU with 18 connections.

Best part is it's free.
    www.shemes.com/index.php?p=download
    Most don't recommend it b/c it leaves seasoned users with something to be desired.

No RSS options is a deal breaker for me. Not to mention the whole 'pay to search' thing and not being able to download headers from large groups.

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the mighty View Post

Reinstall? I've used that same version for ages and have no problems with auto unRARing at all. If they're unRARing just fine manually without any fixing required, try a reinstall or grab a different version.

Skiz I have the same problem the poster has, sometimes it will not repair/extract it properly, but if I do it myself it works fine, or if manually make Alt.binz do it will...I think it's just a bug in the older version, haven't used 0.25.8 enough to know yet...like I was telling ya I only use for gigantic files not to clog my NL queue up.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10